iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::19.6.07::

Training Program

I've had a few people ask about my running program so I thought I'd post a post about what I'm doing. Not that it really warrants a fancy name like a "running program", since it's all pretty simple. The main issue for me, I guess for most people, is to find something that is hard enough to challenge me but not so hard that I risk getting injured. I've found that monitoring the pace I run and making sure that stays within a certain range helps - otherwise I tend to go hell for leather in my shorter runs (and cause myself injuries) but slacken off with my longer runs and end up walking more than running. I used McMillan's Running Calculator to work out my pace and it's two thumbs up. I end up finishing my runs feeling like I've worked hard but not too hard.
Anyway this is the program, such as it is:
Short runs (5-7 kms) X 2 a week
Longer run X 1 a week.
Dead easy. Then every 4th week I have a recovery week - with a couple of easy runs and a 10 km run on the weekend. The program I had, that I rarely stick to, has a speed/interval session once a week as well but I've found it hard to fit that in. I quite like doing intervals but it's so much harder to organise, needing to have a measured distance rather than just heading off out the door. I tried the other morning, running to St Georges Rd which I thought was 1 km from home. I did it in 3.30 mins so I think I stuffed up my measuring because I definitely can't run that fast! Over the next few weeks, while I don't have Monday night classes, I'm going to try to fit them in.
Other than that, I do a couple of gym sessions - cross trainer and bike + weights - every week and try to do a yoga/pilates/body balance class.
Of course this would be far more impressive if I was actually losing weight but I think that's due much more to my eating habits than exercise.

Your program looks like my program- though I am now making one of the short runs either a hill or tempo session- I tried to make the long run work in a two steps forward, one step back type of arrangement! I think whatever works- I can't stick to a formal program.

By Blogger MorseyRuns, at 10:02 am  

I have no program whatsoever. Maybe that's why I never seem to improve :-(

Anyway, you could always try incorporating what Michelle and I sometimes do on a run. Run fast for 8 seconds, then recover for 12 seconds, run fast for 8 seconds, recover for 12 seconds.

It's not enough time for you to completely run out of breath, but enough to exert enough energy to enjoy the recovery 12 seconds.

We started in increase the distance each time we did this sort of training.

Maybe start by doing it for 1km and work up to maybe 3 or 4km.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 am  

Thanks for posting this Kathryn! I really appreciate these kind of posts because it gives me ideas for my own training.

By Blogger Mary, at 10:24 am  

Gosh, you have just jolted my memory Kathryn, I printed all that McMillan Calculator info...... I must read it, lol!

Its sounds as though it is working for you, keep up the great work!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Bargains

Quick Update

Committed

Running and stuff

Quick Update

Healed

I'm A Monster!

Ouchies...

Weekend Over

Weekends

archives