iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::21.4.07::

Diet Advice

You wanna know what is the stupidest bit of dieting advice ever? When people say not to go to the supermarket on an empty stomach. What are you supposed to do? Stay at home and starve to death? Order in pizza so you can fill up before you go shopping?

I guess some people go to the supermarket before their cupboards are bare but that seems like a waste of time to me.

The best advice is to not go to the supermarket at all. Companies spent zillions of dollars getting their products placed in supermarkets so you buy crap that you don't want. You can't resist. They know how you think.

Shop at the markets where you get seasonal fruit and vegetables, not 6 month old crap from a cold room that goes rotten a day after you buy it. Where you can joke with the stallholders while they shout the specials of the day.

Shop at the butchers where you can buy the meat you want, not a prepackaged slab and where they grind your mince while you wait so you can see what's in it.

Shop at the small stores where you don't have to waste hours of your life in a line full of screaming kids because the shareholders would rather have an extra buck fifty in their pockets than pay someone minimum wage to open another register.

Sometimes I give myself challenges to see how long I can go without setting foot inside a supermarket. I think my record is three months. Then I had to take my sister to get cheap Lemsip. Supermarkets make you evil and cranky. They put things in stupid places so you can never find them and you wander aimlessly from one aisle to the next.

Supermarkets are the epitome of all that is evil in capitalist society. Resist. Fight the power. Eat food that's been purchased with joy.

***

I went for my first run today since being injured. But, damnation, I woke up feeling sore today than I have for a week or so. Not sure if I slept funny or if it's just the result of Thursday's massage. Since I'd organised to meet Simon, I had to turn up. I did a km warm up while waiting for him but we mostly walked. All up I did about 5 km but only ran 2 km of that.

There's a big part of me that wanted to really, really push myself. I think that part is closely connected to part that's feeling hella bad about scoffing down all the chocolates Andrew brought over last night.

We went house hunting yesterday and found a nice place. We have to put in the application today so fingers crossed. I'd almost talked myself out of moving yesterday - thinking this place isn't so bad - when the owner's son turned up. I was in my room with the window and he didn't know, just came down the side of the house and stuck his head in my window. I opened the front door for him and asked him to never do that again. He blabbered on with some bullshit story and told me if I wanted privacy, I should shut my blinds!!!!

I don't even know why he was here - he said he wanted to show the empty room to someone but he had no one with him and the 'empty' room is full of (most likely stolen) office furniture. He went into the room and did something then left.

I fully believe that if I'd not been in my room, he'd have climbed in through the window. Now I'm worried about leaving my window open if I'm in another part of the house. I'm also worried about he's storing in the empty room.

The sooner I get out of here, the better.

Kathryn I so agree with you about supermarkets, it is so incredibly easy to come out of there with some crap you never wanted in the first place. I love shopping at the market too, if you do buy something you weren't planning on from there it is usually something much better for you.

By Blogger Andrew(ajh), at 2:21 pm  

God, I wonder if he is the son of an e-landlord of mine who did something very similar to me. We had an outdoor loo and my BF at the time wondered out starkers and the landlord is in the back yard with a ladder and 3 mates, they had decided they were painting the joint that weekend.

Ughhh, supermarkets, the refuge of the damned. Yes I do frequent them but mostly get my veg from the greengrocer and always get my fish from the market. I always end up having a fight when I go to safeway LOL

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 pm  

Well said Kathryn!!!! WOOHOO! Down with mighty supermarkets!

I just finished reading this book called Shopped: The shocking power of British supermarkets. All about how they screw over primary producers, take over towns, etc etc... I'm not sure if the situation is the same back home but it can't be far off. Anyway, it's a great read at the very least to get all angry and fired up and be even more determined to get to the farmers market :)

By Blogger Shauna, at 6:14 pm  

Kathyrn, I stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading it.

best,
LizN

By Blogger LizN, at 6:55 pm  

I hate shopping in the supermarket... mostly because of the ignorant pricks and their trolleys getting in my way! But I have to agree about going with a full tummy! We never get to the point where we have no food in the panty... got kids eh? And if you are not hungry when you go shopping you are less tempted to buy crap you dont need! so there. As for you moving, the sooner the better I say! You live in a dodgy house mate!

By Blogger Chris H, at 6:58 am  

The landlords son is way out of line- hope you get the new place soon. Stupidmarkets suck the life out of me too.

By Blogger MorseyRuns, at 1:20 pm  

What a dodgy f-k. Good luck with getting the new place!

By Blogger Mary, at 4:32 pm  

Congratulations on the run. It must feel good to be back.

All the best with your application for the new house.

By Blogger Kathy, at 8:31 pm  

Good luck with the house hun. I have my fingers crossed for you, Your scumlords are dodgy. Is there a lock on the spare room? Maybe do some spy work haha

By Blogger Jadey, at 9:58 pm  

ooh very creepy - i'd be out too! and with you on the supermarket thing - shopping on an empty stomach makes me buy ten bad things i don't need - and then I justify eating them!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 am  

Fingers crossed for the new place!
Slow and steady with the running, mate...you don't want to end up with a chronic injury.
I play a game at the supermarket - if I can get everything on my list without doubling back then I win! Lame, huh

By Blogger LBTEPA, at 7:30 am  

Good luck with the house xx

I so agree with you about supermarkets too. I hate them. We have been buying our meat at the butcher and it is SO much nicer. I love the fruit and veg shop too. When I do go to the supermarket I always come out in a bad mood.

By Blogger Suzy, at 8:50 am  

I get my food delivered by the supermarket to save the temptation of walking round the evil things. Unfortunately, I'm too poor at the moment to do local shopping but I do agree it is the best thing to do.

Fingers crossed your move goes through - what a twat sticking his head through your window. Shame you didn't have a bucket of water handy to sling over him!

By Blogger Kate, at 4:43 am  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Do I Look Fat in This?

Hair

Gorgeous

Update

House

More Goodness

Good and Bad

Uggh

Stupid

Woohoo!

archives