iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::17.4.07::

Gorgeous

Have you ever been walking down the street, feeling rather good about yourself, and you've noticed some guy sitting at the lights watching you? You think to yourself - he's totally checking me out because I'm hot.

A couple of days later, you feel like shit. You're walking down the same street and see the same guy in the same car doing the same thing. You think to yourself - he's grossing out because I'm a total bush pig.

Exactly the same situation, the only thing that changes are the thoughts in your head. The truth is he could be thinking you're hot, he could be thinking you're a bush pig, he could be staring idly into space while he thinks about shoes with zippers, he could be wondering where you got those fabulous shoes and do they come in his size.

So often we put thoughts into other people's heads. We second guess their reactions to us based on nothing much, just a reflection of our own opinion of ourselves.

It's easy to say we don't care what other people think of us but I don't know... I think it's only human to want to be liked and admired and found attractive. It's hard coded into our DNA, survival of the species and all that. At the same time we seldom get an honest opinion - some people (the good ones) are happy to tell us we look fabulous all the time, others can only see our faults. Even when you look in the mirror, your view is distorted - it's so easy to focus on the bad bits or the good bits, not all the bits at once. And so much of what makes us look good can't be seen in the mirror. It's in the attitude, the way we move and the way we respond to others.

I read a quote from a wise woman the other day - 'My only goal is dress cute and not look like everybody else'. Well okay, it wasn't a wise woman, it was Paris Hilton. But, say what you like about the girl, she really does know how to flaunt what she's got and convince the world through the force of her personality that she's hot.

My goal for the week is to be gorgeous - convince myself and convince the world.

I so needed to read this this morning! Thanks!

I think gorgeousness is a culmination of factors, honesty+love+confidence+beauty+selfbelief+acceptance..... you can probably add many more to that little equation!

Keep up the excellent writing! When will we see more of your writing in Women's Health and Fitness? I really enjoyed your last article!

xoxo
Michelle

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 pm  

This is the best post I've read in ages! It's all about perpective and not making assumptions about what other people are thinking. Cheers to being GORGEOUS Kathryn and you are :-)

By Blogger Mary, at 1:56 pm  

What profound words, and so true. As hard as it can be sometimes, I now actively try to pick the positive option and I think this has been a big factor in my feeling heaps better of late. A simplistic view: either there was nothing negative to worry about, or there is and bugger them/so what! What people make of a given situation is not just about that situation, their previous experience also plays an important role.

May all your thought choices allow your beauty to shine through!

By Blogger CaramelKitKat, at 1:56 pm  

you are gorgious already!!!! :)

Great post btw, you really made me think.

By Blogger Beee, at 2:39 pm  

Babe you are absolutely gorgeous. I do know what you mean though. Here's to a gorgeous week.

By Blogger Jules, at 2:48 pm  

yep - it is all up to us and it is most of the battle!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:10 pm  

thats a very astute observation.

"So often we put thoughts into other people's heads. We second guess their reactions to us based on nothing much, just a reflection of our own opinion of ourselves."

ive got to try and remember this for myself. i always get in trouble making assumptions about what my husband is thinking!!

it has led me down a few not-so-merry garden paths.

By Blogger monster, at 5:21 pm  

Yes, I think Paris can teach us all a lot and it is definitely the only time you will hear me say that!

By Blogger MorseyRuns, at 7:40 pm  

Kathryn, you are so right - as always I might add - don't you get sick of being so right, so much of the time :-)

By Blogger Andrew(ajh), at 10:13 pm  

Aww that post is lovely.

The other funny thing is how we judge other people too - a tall dark and handsome man is 'checking us out' where as a short, round and bald man is 'oggling and staring'.

We're as judgemental on ourselves as we are to others really...

By Blogger Kenz, at 11:11 pm  

What a totally awesome post Kathryn and so very true.

I spend way to much time worrying about other peoples comments and maybe non-exhistant thoughts, lol! Its exhausting!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 am  

oops, spelling mistake, existant, can't have you thinking I can't spell ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 am  

omg!!! Existent. Now you are probably thinking not only can she not spell she is a total looney, lmao!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:48 am  

Too true girl! I went out last night, was wearing totally the WRONG outfit for the ocassion, but still felt like a million dollars! It is all about our inner attitude for sure, and I felt fantastic... work on it ... it's worth it!

By Blogger Chris H, at 10:54 am  

Well said! It's very interesting how we can be our own biggest critic!

Keep up the fabulous writing!

By Blogger Amy, at 12:37 am  

There's only one thing I reckon Paris can teach me and i'm not so sure I need to know how to do "that" anyway!! hahaha.
You're right - again - or is it still?? We are our own worst enemies sometimes.
You are gorgeous and to quote Colin Firth (who I lust after immensely) I like you - just the way you are.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 2:38 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Update

House

More Goodness

Good and Bad

Uggh

Stupid

Woohoo!

Happy Easter

Easter

More Stuff

archives