iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::16.8.06::

Shoes and Moral Dilemmas

I think I took every last smidgeon of bounce out of my runners during the C2S. I swear for the last km or so, I felt every stone on that road. So last night I called into Rebel Sport on my way to the gym. Just for a look.

The salesman asked me first up for my colour preferences - that's so not a good sign. I mean, I'm a serious athlete - I don't care about colour. I care about cushioning and performance. So I told him colour didn't matter - I wanted a neutral running shoe suitable for ...blah, blah,blah... stuff my podiatrist said.

He showed me a pair of bright orange runners. Okay, I was pwnd. I don't care about colour so long as it doesn't glow in the dark!

I ruled out all the expensive shoes because really who pays over $200 for a pair of shoes, especially shoes that aren't going to get you free drinks. Then I ruled out all the cheap ones. Then he ruled out all the not cheap but reduced to a reasonable price but not available in my size shoes.

That left the Asics and the Nikes. I've sworn I would never wear Nikes. Nike represent all that is evil in the world - their shoes are made from the skins of sweat shop children. They spend more on one advertising campaign than they do on their entire wages in the third world. They are the symbol of the capalist, elitist paradigm and all that.

But the Nikes were far more comfortable!

So, huge moral dilemma as they are closing the doors of Rebel Sports for the night. Arrgghhh!

And are Nike that much worse than other shoe manufacturers or are they just targetted because they are the biggest? I'll have to find out.

(I just checked and I think Asic are just as bad - are there any brands of running shoes that don't infringe human rights? Running is built on a foundation of evil! You either ruin your body in crap shoes or you become part of the problem!)

So I decided on the Nikes. Yeah I'm evil and rotten to the core. I'm going to burn in hell but at least my knees won't give out.

I got to the gym, raring to go in my new shoes, them out of the box and realised they looked a bit strange. The guy in the shop had given me the wrong pair. I had the Asics.

Tonight I took them back to change them so now I have the right shoes (I'd post a pic but the Nike site is full of flash animation and runs as slow as a dog - a dog with no legs - on my computer) and they gave me a free pair of sox for my inconvenience. I also got a 10% discount with my gym membership.

I'd actually planned to do NO running this week to give my legs a rest but hey, new shoes. So I went for a 40 minute run on the treadmill. They were fine. My legs are all better now and the shoes had much boiinginess but not too much. They rubbed a bit but my feet are blistered to hell from wearing my sister's shoes in Sydney (plus I think the residual evil burnt a little).

Btw I didn't make it to the cupcake shops in Sydney... and I haven't got my Buffy box set reward either. I lookedin JB Hifi tonight but it was about $50 more expensive than Ezydvd but Ezydvd are out of stock atm. I'd better buy it soon or stop eating else I'll not be getting it all. I've not been good since I got back from Sydney - well I was yesterday but not today - and now I'm getting serious again.

Here is a pic of my shoes: pic, although I swear mine look a bit different (I can't tell for sure cos mine are on the other side of the room and I'd have to walk over to check and I really can't be bothered). Why do they need to make so many different versions of shoes anyway? It's not like feet change from year to year. Why don't they just make them right the first time?

Actually this pic looks more like them. My sister thought the squares on the side should light up when you run and I was like, der, I'm a serious athlete, you know.

seriously. did u think you'd be posting pictures of runners a year ago?

well done - very cool new wheels.

By Blogger Cinders, at 9:21 am  

Nice wheels. Given the state of your old shoes, I bet you will notice a heap of difference. Oh, and by the way, you are pure evil.

By Blogger Ruune, at 9:58 am  

Love the "residual evil" remark - LOL :oD

Loving the new runners, and if Nike are comfy then I guess that's the main thing And free socks, woohoo!

By Blogger beakus, at 10:24 am  

haha Nikes are no worse than any other runner on the planet. Enjoy your new wheels. Loosk like you got the run yourself ugly shoes. Love that ad.

By Blogger Jadey, at 2:25 pm  

New Balance are fairly ethical I think, but then again I just got a new pair of asics so can't really judge...

By Blogger YP, at 4:00 pm  

Your new shoes are gorgeous! Happy running in them.

By Blogger Suzy, at 7:59 pm  

The shoes look great, I myself need to purchase a decent pair just haven't gotten around to it yet :( hope you have a great weekend!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 am  

They are damn cool shoes, i think the evil just makes them cooler!
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 10:56 am  

LOL I really enjoy the way you write. Of course you're a serious god damn athlete but flashing lights could be fun ;-) Everything can be a morale dilemma but hey, do what is right for you and I think getting a good pair of shoes is a priority for a runner. If we knew half of what most companies do, I don't think we would buy anything and possibly not eat or even leave the house ever again!

By Blogger Mary, at 11:47 am  

Nice blog!!!I love the pic!!!Nike shoes are the only solution......

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:53 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Five Weird Things About Me...

C2S Results

Help!

Sydney and Other Stuff

Weigh In

Exempt List

Sydney

Sunshine and Sore Legs

Queen of the Lake

Weigh In - 71.8 kg

archives