iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::8.8.05::

Habits of Thin People

This morning I read this article on the 7 habits of slim people. Some of it is pretty old hat and damn obvious. Some of it is just stupid.

Habit 1 - slim people don't diet. Well, der, they don't need to. Unless they have an eating disorder. And, actually, I have seen many slim people following some stupid Cosmo "Lose a Dress Size by Saturday" diet. So there.

Habit 2 - slim people eat junk. Again der, of course they do. Because they can.

Habit 3 - slim people don't binge. I don't know about this. I've seem some slim people stuff themselves.

Habit 4 - slim people aren't obsessed. This one is a doozy. Slim people "don't count fat grams or kilojoules". Hey, new's flash, why the hell would they? If I was slim and had an eating style that maintained that weight then why would I start analysing my food? I think we can file this under "if it aint broke, don't fix it". If you are overweight, then maybe you do need to analyse your food. I mean, if my car was going well, I wouldn't take it to the mechanic except for a service and tune up.

"A good place to start is to only think about what you're going to eat when you get hungry". Except that maybe you might need to plan your meals if you want to lose weight so you have the right food in the cupboard.

Habit 5 - Slim people don't abuse food. This shit me. Really shit me. A total glib oversimplification of some damn complex issues here (as with 99% of all articles that deal with emotional eating. In fact, the only writing I've ever read that deals with these issues in any kind of depth has been on other people's blogs - go bloggers!)

Habit 6 - slim people exercise - again an article telling us to use the stairs at work instead of the lifts. Grrr. I've said it before and I'll say it again - most people can't use the stairs! It's a security issue. I'm surprised she didn't use the old "take a bubble bath" thing for emotional eating while she's at it.

Habit 7 - slim people enjoy life. Do they? Do slim people actually enjoy life more? I'm not so sure about that.

So basically, slim people have their shit together while us fatties are just fucked up? We have all these issues that slim people don't have?

I think many slim people ae just as fucked up as fat people. They just express it in different ways. I met someone recently who couldn't understand emotional eating or using food to deal with pain, but then I noticed when she was upset, she'd go out and buy heaps of shit at the stores. Like worthless shit she was never going to use.

You can be slim and full of issues and self doubt. You can be big and love yourself and life. There is a girl at work who is definitely not slim. Not obese or even heavily overweight, but far above slim. She amazes me; she always seems to be so happy. And not just that, she seem to celebrate her body, wearing clothes that emphasis her curvy hips rather than hide them. She is an inspiration to me, she is so full of life.

Kathryn

I suppose I could be classed as a slim person (well by other people anyway) and if you read my blog you'll know that whoever wrote the article is talking out of their ar*e!!

I do everything that they claim slim people don't do!! I diet, I count fat, calories, points etc., I use food as an emotional tool, I stress about my weight daily....I could go on but you get the point!!

And have a lovely day...congrats on the 1kg loss too!

By Blogger Jaykay, at 2:12 pm  

Hi Kathryn, Hope you're feeling better. You know these books have to be written to appeal to the lowest common denominator; otherwise, people would flee from them exclaiming they're "too deep" and "can't be understood." And, unfortunately, no one ever went wrong by seducing a fat person into thinking (a) there is a secret to weight loss, and (b) they have it buried somewhere in their book. Gah!

By Blogger not specified, at 8:27 pm  

You have such a succint way of putting things. And it is oh so true. I have slim friends that have way more food hangups than I do. That is why they are slim. But they are not healthy. I am healthy. And becoming healthier. And will end up being slimmer with no hangups - thanks to blogs.

Congrats on your loss. Thanks for this post again and I hope you have a great day tomorrow :)

By Blogger Margaret, at 9:14 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Sick and Tired Binge-A-Rama

Kathryn Needs To Learn

Yikes!

Slacker Me

Snuffle

Trust

All Of Me

Things To Look Forward To #1

Learning From Myself

Philosophical Thoughts

archives