iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::7.6.06::

The Awful Tooth

When I was a young, unemployed, single parent with NO money, I had to go to the free dentist who gave you two options - get your tooth pulled or suffer the pain. On top of that, my teeth are chipped and stained and generally yucko. I used to have fantastic teeth. I used to smile without shame.

Today I rang a dentist to make an appointment. After everything was sorted, they told me their prices. Holy moley, not cheap.

So I rang another dentist and this time the actual dentist answered the phone - not a reassuring sign - and he asked me about my immediate tooth problem (plus lots of inquisitive, non-dental related questions that made me rather uncomfortable). He thought it didn't need filling as I'd thought. More like root canal plus a titanium post then a crown.

On that basis, to get my whole mouth fixed will cost in the vicinity of $1,895,673.99, give or take a few dollars.

All I wanted to do was get my most troublesome (and visible) tooth fixed before my friend's party in 2 weeks time not spend the GDP of a small nation.

I went to lunch feeling totally depressed. At least it didn't lead to a binge - nothing stops emotional eating like the feeling of NEVER wanting to open your mouth in public ever again.

I'd made appointments with both dentists then realised I had to cancel them. I hate cancelling appointments. I feel like I have to have some justification. Then it hit me - I don't need to justify, I don't need to explain. I just have to cancel. That lifted some of the weight off me.

I made an appointment with a dentist close to home, who is significantly cheaper (ie. $110 a filling vs $200 plus a free initial consultation vs $90). I'll see what they say and work out how I can afford it. I've got to do something. Teeth don't fix themselves.

***

Car update: I called RACV and they will sort my car out. I didn't think they would cos it says on their web site that they won't fix stuff that happens before you join. It's going to cost me $170 but I trust then whereas I've had bad experiences with mobile mechanics in the past. And I'll be all joined up (I dunno why I ever let my membership lapse cos I'm a total airhead at locking my keys in the car).

I'd actually checked out Coles Online before all the comments but didn't like the lack of info on food. I like to see the food in real life before I buy. Plus they didn't have the icecream I want on there - the Peters Lite and Creamy in individual serves. I'm fussy about these things. I did realise that I can go to an independent supermarket that is only about 10 minutes walk from home and get icecream there as well.

I still need to pay the big bucks to get my wheel bearings fixed once I get the car tyred up - my friend reckons it will be around $800 (but then again, I have no idea what he based that on) so I'll still be without a car for a while. Then, woohoo, I can go running at Albert Park again! That will rock.

I did love Beck's idea of getting a scooter though. I'd love one!

***

Anyone notice how little I've been talking about weight loss this week? Mmm maybe that's because I'm too sick to exercise but well enough to eat like a piggy. I'm pretty sure I'll gain this week.

owie, sounds expensive!!!

By Blogger Kt, at 7:16 pm  

Ohhh I hate going to the dentist too. But as a result I go for checkups religiously in the hope of catching anything nasty before it becomes very nasty (and expensive).

Four months ago I broke a filling. Having my teeth drilled is my idea of hell, but I bravely psyched myself up for it. The hole in my tooth felt HUGE (they always do when you're feeling them with your tongue). I was imagining all sorts of things.

When the dentist looked in my mouth, he said "It's a clean break and there's no decay underneath, so I won't need to drill you - I can just put a new filling on top."

Then he charged me £20 (I was prepared for £60 at least).

(Where is my point? Simply that sometimes things aren't as bad as you predict. Even dentists.)

By Blogger K, at 8:53 pm  

Good on you for sorting out the teeth. I have a mouth full of fillings and I was very grateful to find a fab dentist in NZ. Since living in the UK, I registered at an NHS practice through work but they were bad. I'd been complaining about a sharp painful tooth for more than a year and finially decided to see my NZ dentist when we were back in Feb. $700 for 2 appointments to sort out my problems but he couldn't believe they kept telling me that one tooth was fine! It was a filling that had chipped and a big hole developing underneath. He suggested they might have been waiting for it to turn into a root canal for practice! My lesson - will go see my NZ dentist next holiday as well. Who cares that it's on the other side of the world!
www.livejournal.com/users/kiwirevo

By Blogger Sandra, at 3:08 am  

I hate the dentist, you poor thing, i feel for you! By a tattslotto ticket this week and hopefully you can win your way to a root canal...yay, just what we all dream off!!! Good luck mate.

By Blogger Madamx81, at 1:54 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Pills and Pissiness...

Warning

Cars

Lies...

Sick

71.5 kgs - The Final Countdown!

Eggs

Blood

Focus

Sunday

archives