iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::28.6.06::

The Best Dinner Ever, a PB and Health Issues

Tonight I cooked the best dinner ever. It was like heaven wrapped paradise with a side of rapture. Yum. The stupid thing is a guy I worked with last year gave me this recipe and I didn't make it until today. That's many dinners I've missed out. And, because I'm the kind, sweet (cough), adorable chickie babe I am, I'll share it with you:

Lemon Coriander Chicken

2 tsp olive oil
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 small red chilli (I had none so used a little chilli powder)
4 tsp chopped coriander
salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts, skinned and scored (I used one but it was huge. I reckon it came from the Dolly Parton of chickens)

Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl (I added a little garlic as well because I'm addicted), add the chicken and leave 30 minutes at least.

Grill for 8 minutes each side, basting with leftover marinade.

Mediterranean Roast Vegie Couscous

2 tsp olive oil
400g butternut pumpkin - diced into 3 cm cubes
4-5 button mushrooms cut in half
1 zucchini diced
1 red capsicum diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Combine vegetables in a baking dish, toss through oil and spices. Roast 40-50 mins tossing occasionally.

Make up 1 cup of couscous according to packet directions. Mix with roast vegetables and serve with chicken and rocket leaves.

I didn't actually make the couscous because I didn't have any so I made a bed of wilted silverbeet (ie. boiled the crap out of it) , then added the roast vegies and half the chicken. I'm having the rest of the chicken for dinner tomorrow. Woohoo!

Make it, make it right now. Don't wait. You'll regret it like I did. Better and easier than takeaways and far less calories. I reckon this will be cooked to death in my house now - esp in summer. In case you hadn't realised, I'm in lurve.

And now to my PB. The fastest I've recorded myself running is a 7 minute or so kilometre. So tonight at the gym, I was doing speed intervals - 5 min fast, 5 min recovery x 2 - I got through the first fast 5 mins and realised I was mighty close to a km so I kept pushing myself and did it in 6.15 mins! I'm giving myself a pat on the back for that one - because I'm proud of myself and because I really need to stretch out my muscles.

I went to the doctor yesterday. Not because I'm ill but because she's putting me on this care plan with Medicare - I get up to 5 visits with those health practitioners not normally covered. That means I'm off to the podiatrist and the dietican for free! Well there has to be some perks to diabetes.

While I was there, I asked her about an issues that's been bugging me for a while. Well probably 3-4 years off and on. Sometimes when I stand up, I get dizzy spells. Lately it's been getting worse - I get bad nausea as well. It goes away quickly but feels awful for those 30 seconds or so. To make it worse, I stand around like a stunned mullet which isnt' a good look at work... or the gym... or anywhere really.

So anyway, she took my blood pressure sitting down then again standing up. It dropped significantly when I stood up so that's the problem. My blood pressure has always been low and now it's bottoming out! She told me to drink more water and I said I drink 3-4 litres a day plus herbal and green tea. I can't drink any more! I don't want to drink any more. My bladder is worse than a crying baby of a morning.

She also told me I need more salt. I don't often cook with salt or add it my meals, except with eggs or tomatoes. She also said to drink sports drinks when I exercise - which would also help with the woozy post-workout sugar lows I get. I've never had sports drinks before - I've always thought of them as a bit of a wank, plus I don't want extra calories. But since I *always* follow doctor's orders, I went to the supermarket after the gym and got one. It's Powerade Lite which seemed to have the least calories. Hopefully it will help with the cramps I sometimes get too.

Okay, you can stop reading now if potty talk distresses you (I often wonder who stops reading after warnings like that - they make me want to read more!)

Lately I've been having poo issues, not major ones but enough so that it gets uncomfortable when I run, even causing stomach cramps. It's okay at the gym with the toilet handy but running outside can be a problem. Yesterday it all got too much for me so I went to the supermarket and - for the first time in my life - bought a laxetive. The check out girl asked if I wanted a bag. WTF. No, I want to walk the streets with a laxetive in my hands so the whole world knows my bowels are bound.

I don't get this - I drink litres of water, I live on fruit and vegies - like 3-4 apples a day without other fruit, I drink green tea with lemon for breakfast. I should be as regular as a clockwork, instead I'm as regular as a Melbourne tram. So I got home and within 5 minutes, there was no need for outside assistance - all was well. Then, this morning, I intended to go for a run before work except, damn it, my stomach felt like concrete again.

I'm going to take it tonight. I want the pipes cleaned out properly. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Congrats on your PB, you muct be rapt!

Despite drinking lots of water and eating well, my boy has similar poo issues. Or rather had. He takes Russell Setright's Fibre Clear with red clover. He just has it with water and it wouldn't be the most pleasant drink, but you can also mix it with juice, a protein drink or milk. It contains something called 'slippery elm', which even sounds like it would counteract the problem.

By Blogger CaramelKitKat, at 11:17 pm  

LMAO! As regular as a Melbourne Tram!! Im sorry, Im not laughing at the condition which prompted the description, but as a Melbournite I feel your pain! (well, not quite)
WooHoo on the run time! You continue to inspire me.

Cheers
Louisa

By Blogger The Knitting Nerd, at 11:57 pm  

Thanks Kathryn, you start with a yummy chicken recipe and finish with poo issues.. Well done on the PB and is the Medicare doc thing applicable to everyone? I'll have to look it up. Have a great day.

By Blogger Cinders, at 8:26 am  

Well done on your PB. Hope your stomach issues clear up soon !
Take care and have a great week !
Me

By Blogger Me, at 8:49 am  

Great PB, that is a fantastic time. And as I have been catching up on posts I have to comment in dot form

- way to go on the wish jeans, that is a huge achievement.
- I love potty talk, keep it coming (well it will with the laxatives anyway LOL)
- My training for the C2S is pretty non-existant except for the huge amounts of walking I am doing. It is unlikely I will run any but there is six weeks to go and anything can happen in that time.
- Thanks for the recipe. It does sound devine. I will print it out tomorrow at work (printer here died) and will make it on the weekend. Yummm
- Tea towel thieves should be made to do everyones dishes for a week.
- You are great!!!

By Blogger Margaret, at 1:54 pm  

Try some bran for breakfast. My best friend swears on it. Although I often need the herbal laxetives to help, even though I do eat bran...

By Blogger Shawn, at 2:19 pm  

Try this as a remedy, it wors wonders for most people that I've recommended it to:

As soon as you get up have a large glass of warm water with half a fresh lemon squeezed into it. You should feel the need to "go" within about 15 mins.....

Try not to use the laxatives, they can cause a lot of tummy pain and bloating (due to the forced muscle contractions). This in turn can cause your bowels to get lazy after a while which will make the problem worse in the end :-(

Hope this helps :-)

Beki

By Blogger Sekhmet, at 3:12 pm  

Congrats on your PB thats an awesome effort!!

By Blogger Ang, at 6:01 pm  

Ohhh...poor baby. I hate poo issues. Normally I'm really regular, so when I'm not it throws me all off. For me, milk and dairy triggers it. You might try keeping a record of what you eat just before you start to feel like concerete.

What works for me is to eat a big serving of fruit. Cherries especially, or melon. It works for me really well. Salad does, too. Once it goes in, it wants back out rather quickly and pushes whatever is in its way out with it!

By Blogger Shaunta, at 12:26 am  

That chicken recipe sounds just devine - I won't run out and make it now, but it definitely is on the table for tomorrow night! :)

Congrats on the running - I'm always so impressed with everyone's running efforts, and yours is fantastic!

By Blogger Ails, at 8:23 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Woohoos and Weigh Ins

Quotes and Brilliant Ideas

Eating is not a hobby

Victories and Thoughts

Guess What I'm Wearing?

Weigh In - 72 kgs

My Exercise Motivation Tips...

News

It looks like my holiday will be delayed - I spoke...

Holiday?

archives