iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::24.8.05::

A Challenge!

Cruising around the weight-loss-blogesphere, I often see people setting themselves challenges - the lose 5 kgs in 5 week challenge or whatever. I'm not really one for that kind of thing. To me, it's setting yourself, if not for failure, then to link your results to something you can't control. We all know how contrary those scales can be. I know I have my weight loss goals posts but, as they say in Pirates of the Carribean, they're more like guidelines really.

Anyway, I've decided to set myself a challenge I can achieve, that is fully within my power. I call it the Week of No Stir-Fries Challenge. I'm a lazy cook and everyone knows that stir-fries are quick and easy and healthy and nutrious. They are pretty versatile too, just change the meat or the vegies or the sauce and you can have a new and exciting meal every week. For a while anyway. But it's gone on too long - I have stir-fry fatigue - I need something else in my life.

So anyway, I think this challenge will help me to learn some new recipes and add some excitement to my life (sad, huh). This is what I've thought of so far:

  • Ratatoullie with cous-cous (I love cous-cous but my son hated it - he called it crap-crap, so time to get back into it).
  • Steak with low-fat wedges and steamed vegies maybe with a low-fat yoghurt & sweet chilli sauce.
  • Frittata made from leftovers of above meal

Okay, that's as far as my thinking goes. If you have any good recipes then comment away, remembering that the only meat I eat is chicken or beef and maybe a little pork occassionally.


I love cous cous. plain, spicy, anyway. Yummm. And so easy. I am thinking about putting together some recipes so will hunt around for some for you.

Have a great day :)

By Blogger Margaret, at 9:20 pm  

LOL! I stir-fry myself out, too, for the same reason - quick easy and nutritious and pretty variable. For a while! :)

By Blogger jak, at 10:41 pm  

Do you use slow cookers (crock pots) down under? If you do, I'll send you some dynamite recipes that you prepare (quickly) in the morning and return home in the evening to nutritious and delicious and, best of all, done.

By Blogger not specified, at 12:13 am  

Do you have easy access to a barbecue? We grill a lot of veggies and just have them (mostly sweet peppers and portabellos -- marinated in a bit of balsamic vinegar and garlic) with some grilled chicken or pork tenderloin. We often have that with a small salad or we make them into fajitas. It can be quick easy if you cut up the veggies and put them into the marinade the night before (or in the morning -- whatever works). Just toss it on the grill when you get home from work and it is done in no time. I'm so all about fast and easy when it comes to cookin'!

By Blogger Shrinking Girl, at 9:26 am  

I love chicken parmas. Not the fatty ones my one!!

I pan fry a chick breast then cut it open and put in a spoon full of salsa, some light cheese and a piece of WW ham. I put more salsa on the top and more cheese, then put it in the oven for the salsa to get hot and cheese to melt.

Very yummy. I usually serve it with vegies or salad and some home made garlic bread. Very yummy!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 am  

I don't have a slow cooker or a bbq :( I think it might be worth trying the vegies in the grill though esp doing them as fajitas!

The chicken parma sounds good too. Damn, I am feeling so hungry now.

By Blogger Kathryn, at 11:00 am  

I didn't ever set goals for myself before I started on my weight loss journey, but I find it quite exciting now to try to achieve something that I normally wouldn't. Have a look at my recipes. You may find something. They are all easy, as that is the only type of cooking I can manage -easy recipes.

By Blogger Suzy, at 11:56 am  

Thanks guys. New recipes rock. One of my other limitations is that I live in a share house and I am too scared to use the oven or even open the oven door to look in it cos who knows when it was last cleaned. But the landlord is putting in a new stove soon so those curry beef filo rolls will be first on the list (and might cure my occasional sausage roll craving).

By Blogger Kathryn, at 11:33 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

I Did It

Foiled

A Big Fat History Of Me - Part 3

This Week

An Attack of the Blahs

Therapy

Thanks and Things

A Big Fat History of Me - Part 2

Another Quickie

Just a Quickie

archives