iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::29.8.05::

Swimming

I went swimming tonight after work. I like the idea of swimming but when I actually get in the pool and do laps, I remember that it bores the pants off me (not literally, thank god). After about three laps, I start watching the clock. Every minute takes forever.

Next time I decide to go to the pool, I must remember that. Swimming is fun when it's for fun, but for exercise it's the pits.

Now I have to go eat. I've had dinner but I'm still starving. Swimming does that to me.

According to a recent article I read:

"In general, the more intense the exercise, the higher your body temperature, and the more likely your appetite will be suppressed for several hours following exercise. Exercising at low intensity and working out in cold temperatures will have less of an effect on hunger and post-exercise appetite.

"Fitness swimming is a good example. Swimming is a notoriously poor method of exercise for inducing weight loss. Swimming sessions do not result in the same degree of weight loss that other exercise sessions of comparable caloric expenditure do; they also don't affect the appetite the same way. Often, after a hard swim workout in the morning, you'll still be hungry for a big breakfast, but after a morning run you'll be less likely to feel hungry until later in the day."

Something to think about!

By Blogger not specified, at 8:53 pm  

Good point Debra, although at least it's a healthy appetite and not just a craving for junk food.

I was thinking about this some more and I think it might be good as a cool down when I start back doing spin classes and other stuff like that.

By Blogger Kathryn, at 10:57 pm  

I think it is important to find an exercise that you really like doing. I hate doing things that are a chore. Don't blame you for being bored with swimming laps.

By Blogger Suzy, at 10:35 am  

I'm with you on the swimming...doesn't do it for me either.

I want to go and do one of those classes where you wear a buoyant vest and go running in the water...can't remember what it's called though - it sounds like fun!

By Blogger Jaykay, at 8:29 pm  

Just remembered - it's called deep water running

By Blogger Jaykay, at 8:32 pm  

I used to be a comp swimmer too, just like Jodie, and I remember I used to be starving after every session, yet if I run on the treadmill for 2 minutes (yep - 2 minutes) I can't eat for an hour. Weird.. Just did a big catch up and the study on the diet follow ups is really interesting. And it would make sense. Who honestly could live their lives being deprived of anything? If you follow a healthy-ish, balanced diet which incorporates treats as well as whole foods you are more likely to be able to stick to it longer term.

Thanks for your lovely comments too, it was really thoughtful. :)

By Blogger Margaret, at 9:16 pm  

Jaykay, I want to do deep water running but the only place I know that has it is the Albert Park aquatic centre and that is too far away.

By Blogger Kathryn, at 9:52 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Spud

Studies Show...

Today

Friends: A Rant

Sick Again

Take That, Plateau. Blam. Whap.

Weird Day

A Challenge!

I Did It

Foiled

archives