iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::25.9.05::

Toddler Taming

The other day I was in the queue at the supermarket and behind me was a mother with a young child. The kid was screaming and squealing and demanding chocolate in the most painful manner. The mother tried to placated him, but you could tell she was defeated before she even started. She had no conviction in her voice; she was just going through the motions.

I walked away, thinking what a stupid woman. Why didn't she just say no and mean it? Sure the kid would be upset to begin with, maybe stack on a tantrum for the first few supermarket outings but eventually he'd learn that "no" means no and would stop asking for treats. In the long run it would make the mother's life easy, be healthier for the kid and much gentler on the eardrums of other shoppers.

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy - always is when you are solving other people's problems. But, on the way to the car, it came back to me how trying to change eating habits is like raising a toddler. For me anyway, it's like I have this angry, tantrum throwing, very persistant child inside me that won't take no for an answer. I want it, and I want it now. I scream and demand and throw myself on the ground (mentally anyway - I'm not that far gone).

I can pull all kinds of tricks - avoiding temptation or distracting myself or substituting non-food treats - but in the end, I have to be able to tell myself "no". I have to say it with a firm and uncompromising voice. If I say it often enough and with enough conviction, then the the inner brat will shut up and maybe, eventually, might even start to grow up.

Very insightful!

By Blogger Sue, at 2:57 pm  

What a great analogy !! We managed to get it right with Kaitlin but I am still working on getting it right with me !!!
Take care and have a great week !
Me

By Blogger Me, at 8:20 pm  

You told Her!

By Blogger not specified, at 1:58 am  

I find it hard not to tell people what to do - it is a very bad habit on my part, maybe if I had more tact! I think our inner brats are growing up (a bit later than we would like) - but deep down inside there is always our inner child and brat - we just have to teach them how to behave:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 am  

Yep, absolutely one of the best analogies I've seen lately! I know I can be a spoilt brat sometimes too LOL :-)

By Blogger Mary, at 2:51 pm  

that is the most freakin brilliant analogy ever. thankyou! now i know i am dealing with a bratty redhaired stepchild, i know how to handle it...

(catching up on all your entries :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

A Big Fat History Of Me - Part 5

Gain!

Baby Needs Shoes

Step Ball Change

Spin

Arrrghh birthdays!

Thanks!

Dilemmas, moral and otherwise...

Pact

Boxing

archives