iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::18.2.06::

Mornings Suck

I know I've been sounding a little blah lately. One of the problems is that I've been waking up at 5 am every morning and end up laying in bed, trying to get back to sleep until my alarm goes off at 7. It drives me nuts and if it keeps happening next week, I'm going to bite the bullet and get up and go for a run. Surviving on 6 hours sleep a night is not good for me. It's not good for the tighter than tight budget either cos it means that I have to go splurge a whole $3 on coffee when I get to work. When the budget is this tight, those 3 bucks really hurt.

The good news is that I'm working again next week - woohoo! I think I mentioned in my last post, it's a teensy bit closer (cuts out 2-3 train stops), not that much in train time but it makes my walk home shorter. I tried to get the distances the other night - I used whereis.com.au to get the road part and I know the section of the Merri Trail I walk is 3 km but couldn't get the distance for the Yarra Trail section because whereis only thinks people walk on roads!

In the end, I got a piece of string and held it up to my computer screen and wound it around the Yarra then used the thingo (is it called a legend? you know that says like 1 cm = 1 km) to work it out. Oh and when I say a piece of string, I actually mean the velvet ribbon off a choker because I own nothing practical like string. The walk is over 12 km! It takes me about 2 1/2 hours so that makes me feel much more confident about the Race For The Kids run at 14.7 km. This walk has some big hills and it is much slower walking when you have to deal with roads and traffic and interesting shops.

***

I know it's not good to compare yourself with other people at the gym or to mock anyone's efforts to get in shape, but the other night at the gym a guy was bench pressing on the Smith's Machine and I thought he looked like he really wasn't doing much - maybe not more than 10 kgs. After he finished, I went over to check it out - hey, I had to use it anyway - and he had on 2 2.5 kg weights. That's 5 kgs. Maybe he had a reason, maybe he was recovering from an injury or something, but seriously, my Nan could bench press more than that. And she's 93. And extremely frail.

Another funny gym story - when I stretching last night, a guy walked past the mirrors. He's checking out his muscles, thinking "boy do I look buff" and gives a little flex of the arm then trips over a medicine ball.

***

I'm off to the market this morning. I've missed the last few weeks cos Andrew has been having big weekends and isn't home on Saturday mornings. I can't go alone, I'd have to carry my own stuff. And well, I'd miss him. My mum asked me what he's been up to on his Friday nights out and I told her he is taking drugs and picking up hookers. She said I shouldn't say that but I think that is far less embarassing than admitting he's out playing LAN games. How did I raise such a geek?

It is interesting what you say about the average weight, so i guess average weight for your height would be in the low 70's. You are nearly about to enter low 70's, and cos you are getting fit at the gym with muscle tone, you probably already look low 70's. I am 72kg at the moment, having got down from about 94kg. I really noticed that once i got to about 74kg (which tied in with me having a bit of a shop around), that their are indeed a lot of terrific clothes items at recycled shops now that fit and look nice. i got some tshirts in blue and purple, after only wearing black for years. And got a nice girls fitting long wool coat for a bargain, after only wearing boys long coat last few winters. Also got some stretch jeans, skirts and even 2 slimming belts. Long time since i had worn a belt so i had none in the cupboard. I am on a tight budget like you are,so i thought i would encourage you with getting into the low 70's cos the best part for me was being able to pick up some bargain clothes that look really nice. i still want to get back to my old weight from years ago of 64 kg. But i read that over the last few years mostly everyone is at least 8 kg heavier on average. Possibly this is where i feel averagely comfortable at the 72kg but still cannot fit into my old clothes. So thats where it was a great surprise to realize there are a lot of bargains to be found now i am a more average size.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 pm  

You always seem to have the funny stuff happen to you! You wouldn't believe it but my brther took off with his camera and I have no photos of us! So Upset

By Blogger Jadey, at 2:59 pm  

I so understand about the lack of sleep thing. For the past few months I have been getting about 6 hours interrupted sleep .. I have problems getting to sleep, once I do I keep on waking up and then I wake up fully about 5.30. Everyone is starting to tell me how tired I am looking and half the people are asking me if I 'am actually eating anything'! Ok I look tired but I don't look stupid enough to starve myself.
LOL at gym stories and about your Andrew and his Friday nights! I am sure you didn't really raise a geek!

xx

By Blogger Nancy Bou, at 6:46 pm  

Bite the bullet, run :-) I love exercising in the morning and you might even find that it helps you go to bed earlier in the evening so you get a better sleep. I understand about the $3. I am in budget zone too.

LOL at the gym experience. I would have been thinking the same thing and I reckon it's okay. It's only if we act on those thoughts and start teasing and making the person feel like shit, then that's when it's wrong. I'm a sucker for slap stick comedy so that guy tripping would have bowled me over. I fall over a lot myself and you gotta laugh.

LAN huh, at least you never went out with one! I think I have had my quota in Star Trek as well! Why do LAN players all have to be Sci Fi geeks too? I'm sure your son is a cool geek though, with a mum like you and all :-)

By Blogger Mary, at 9:51 am  

Still laughing so hard about that muscle-flexing guy tripping over the medicine ball!! That would have been so funny to see!!

By Blogger philippa_moore, at 1:02 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Weigh In - 76.5 kgs

Rest

Even More Buggered

Buggered

The Biggest Loser

Time To Get Serious!

Migraine

A Kinda, Sorta Anniversary

Weigh In - 77.2

Life

archives