iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::13.2.06::

The Biggest Loser

So, just finished watching the first episode and I'm mad. There is just so much wrong with this show. I always have a problem with people spilling their personal lives for the tv cameras - whether it's someone discussing their brazillian wax on Big Brother or long lost siblings being reunited on a current affairs show - and when it's an issue that I feel close to, like weight loss, it angers me even more.

I guess that might seem strange to some people since I talk about a lot of personal stuff on my blog but to me the difference is that I'm in control. I don't have some producer or editor rearranging my words to make a tear-jerking story or a soap opera of my life.

Where to even start on this - I guess the weigh in. Sure it's humiliating to get stripped off and weighed on television. Nowhere to hide there. But come on - it's not like they didn't know. You sign up for the show with the full knowledge that you become public property so why make a huge drama out of it?

And the last meal - nothing, and I mean nothing, would make me gorge myself in front of a television camera. At least there was one voice of sanity among them.

But I think the thing that really stuck in my throat was that these people say they want to lose weigh more than anything in the world, that they will do anything yet they need the help of Bob and Jillian and a whole television show to do it. They can't educate themselves? They can't motivate themselves? They can't get the help they need elsewhere? To me that just doesn't ring true.

Maybe it's easy for me to sit at home and judge them and maybe I'm wrong - after all, it took me a long time to actually get to the point where stopped talking the talk and starting walking the walk - but for me, the prime reason I've managed to lose weight is that I finally took responsibility for my own issues and did things myself. That's what I'm not seeing on The Biggest Loser. I'm seeing people crying - rescue me, save me from myself. Maybe as the show progresses they'll learn to help themselves. I hope so because I don't think we can really change until we take that responsibility for ourselves.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me and plenty of you will be inspired and/or motivated by the show. Fair enough. I might keep watching it to see if I can pick up some training tips or other hints but the only part of tonight's show I enjoyed was the contestants showing their "dream" outfits. That was the only bit that felt real and not (to quote one of my favourite books - A Prayer For Owen Meany) "made for television".

***

PS. What's the deal with AJ. Rochester? In her book she says she lost 45 kgs and went from a size 24 to a size 12 then in the Woman's Weekly it was a 80 kg loss and then on the BL she is saying a 60+ kg loss and that she went from size 28. I can understand the change in sizes if the program is intended for airing in the US as well but that is a huge difference in the kgs lost.

I thought about going on the show for a nanosecond. But there was no way in hell I was going to have my life, and more importantly that of my family spouted all over Australia. As you put it, at least with the blog it is WE who have the control.

They obviously watched TBL show when it was on before...of course they were going to get weighed, it's a weight loss show for crying out loud! (Can you see the steam).

Tracy - the reason of sanity with the meal, is one of the reasons i will keep watching, along with checking out Jillians abs and the oh so cute Bob.

And the AJ thing...well I don't know how to put it except to say - arm weights NOW! Plus the way how much she has lost or not lost disturbes me quite a bit. But she put in the hard yards, so I can't be too harsh.

All right, I should shut up now - or I'll get in trouble :)

By Blogger Lucinda, at 9:04 pm  

You echoed so many of the comments that DH said as he was watching the show. The weigh in did it for him too. I have to put my hand up and admit that whilst I know they knew it was coming it still didn't stop me from having a tear at the thought of their pain and humiliation and realisation that they were as big as they were. Even if it was for the camera's. (though - as a sidenote - I cry at hallmark & Johnson baby ads too) LOL

The gorge thing was disgusting and I think they were told to do that so they could truly feel that shamed and disgusting feeling as further fuel for their motivation. Like they needed it!!!

I am going to watch. I know I will love it. And tonights show has done one thing already - it has cemented in me a resolve NEVER to put my weight back on and feel like I have to rely on a show like this to teach me how to get it all off.

Thanks Kathryn. It's always refreshing to get differing viewpoints and opinions on such a topical subject.

Am so with you on the Ajay thing though. DH commented there was no way she was a size 12 and whilst I applaud her successes I can't help but think they have overstated / understated to suit.

By Blogger Margaret, at 10:23 pm  

Sorry for the really long comment :D Have a great week

By Blogger Margaret, at 10:23 pm  

You have got me interested - think I may have to watch one show just to see what it is all about. All I know about it is what M told me on the weekend (how sad is that!!. It certainly sounds like there are a few contraversial (sp?) issues happening.
Thanks for the post and getting my interest sparked.
Have a great week !
Me

By Blogger Me, at 11:45 pm  

I'm with you on this - not just about this show (I've only every seen the shorts), but about all so-called reality TV. I just can't bear it.

By Blogger Sue, at 4:13 am  

Lot's of excellent points. I taped it, so will watch it tonight.

I didn't think AJ looked that great, and definatley didn't look a size 12. I'm guessing it's because they say TV adds weight.

It's refreshing to read someone's opinion about TBL and it not be full of how much they love it and how much they love AJ :o)

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:43 am  

I agree with you completely, and I didn't watch last night's show, but that's because I was out walking 5km to the supermarket and back (yay me). I will be watching tonight though, and like M, I do get teary and probably will feel for them, but then it's TV and I will remember that even though they say it's "reality" TV, it's still staged. Thanks for your thoughts, it's great to read your thoughts on this whole parlaver (??sp). LOL.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 10:35 am  

It's weird because I actually warmed to the show since the American Version aired last year, but I agree with a lot of what you said.

I don't like how alot of the people see it as their magic pill and I hope (like they did on the US version) learn the tools and mindset to motivate and want to do it themselves.

I'm drawn to it because it is about weight and I see it much like I do before//after pictures. More like a visual reminder that I can lose weight. I take it in the entertainment sense.

About the whole AJ thing, I didn't think she looked like a size 12 but I think it's because of what I visual a 12 to be, and because when I'm hovering around those sizes what I want to be. Plus like everyone said TV is suppose to put on weight. Don't know about that whole 45,80, 60+ weight loss though, kinda like Kristy Alley and her saying she only weighed 201 pounds at her highest.

BTW what was with the Weigh in and some of the men having to wear DTs?!

By Blogger Dee, at 1:54 pm  

p.s. I don't know how well my eye sight is @ the whole wondering about AJ's size beacuse I had to type in word verifiation THREE times before it was right LOL

By Blogger Dee, at 1:55 pm  

I personally really enjoy TBL because I get a lot out of it (eg. exercise tips) and chill out time in the evening but I agree with your review of the show also. You make valid points about reality TV and as I work in media too, I am only too aware but I like the show. I think it's well done. I also like perving on Bob and Jillian :-)

Mmm, I was a bit like WTF with AJ also. She did not look like a Size 12 and I've now heard heaps of conflicting reports about her before/after weight. I think it is very misleading and a little dissapointing.

Anyway..enough about TV and the *stars*. I hope YOU have a great week babe.

By Blogger Mary, at 5:01 pm  

Yip I'm with you! I could never ever ever eat have a crazy "last meal" Like that!! No WAY!

By Blogger Ang, at 5:14 pm  

Right there with you on AJ Rochester. Those arms aren't the arms of a size 12. ;) And I don't quite fully believe her story either.

I agree with you on the crying over the weight thing as well. Don't the contestants have to give their weight and other vital stats when they apply to go on the show? Therefore the state of their health is already well known to them and the people who produce the program? I admit I would be pretty upset if I saw a figure like that on the scales but I agree with you, the contestants totally knew what they were signing themselves up for.

By Blogger Sarah, at 8:35 pm  

i had a friend actually apply to go on the show, however got pregnant and called them to inform them, and they told her that was ok, she was too tall for her weight anyway...

so they've hand picked their bunch of people.... and not really sure about them all...

lol the guy that thought he weighted 130... cause that' s as far as the sclaes went up to at home.... but agree... man they knew it was coming... it's a weightloss show!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 pm  

Yup, Im lovin' Tracey. That girl has class.

I really like the show. For all it's editing (I'm not a fool for editing - blah) there are some tid bits and Ah-Ha moments.

I agree with alot of what you have to say about the show. Cheesy is a word that springs to mind.

Jillian actually said something noteworthy tonight. She is giving them the tool to change themselves. She can't change them.

AJ looks great, but if she is a size 12, I'll, I'll.....

By Blogger The Candid Bandit, at 11:31 pm  

You do hear on some people's blog that they have the big eat up prior to starting the diet tomorrow. After a carb up our weight can show up as up to 5 kg extra.(water weight and xs food in body) So then it makes the next weigh in look great, after low carbs. So yep its just a tv thing to help make the loss look more for week1. That is stupid i agree.
However i do think some people could do a lot better on the weight loss show, becuase if its like the US version they pay for the person's wages while they are on the show. so the working mother who has 3 kids and 2 jobs, can just afford to concentrate like in a paid health retreat,and have free personal training, early nights with sleep, gym, no work sitting at pc all day, instead time to exercise and eat well. Also embarrassmetn and confronting the habits, might help people to switch their habits. But yep i would prefer less hype and more insight into the personal trainign etc on the show. But quite possibly we are in the minority, and the main audience wants to see the emotional dramas more than the process. Though i have to say i have had the odd cry in public in the past, i can be a real cry baby at times, but they say it is healthy to let emotions out rather than hold them in. Must be good for some people to stop pretending to be the always jovial life of the party or earth mama who loves to only look after others, and to actually say, i feel vulnerable and sad to carry the extra weight. So it might be hyped, but still the real emotions do come out in those situations.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 am  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 pm  

test

By Blogger Kathryn, at 11:45 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Time To Get Serious!

Migraine

A Kinda, Sorta Anniversary

Weigh In - 77.2

Life

Tired

Walk

Stuffed

Makeover Expo

Wish Jeans

archives