iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::15.2.06::

Even More Buggered

Damn, I did NOT want to go to the gym tonight. I felt tired and cranky and over it all. The funny thing, I'm starting to find is that those are the nights I work out best. Once I get into the gym, I'm fine. More than fine. I'm dandy too. Maybe it's because I channel all that crotchetiness into my workout.

So tonight I got on the treadmill and ran 5K. Hell, bugger modesty:

I ran 5K!!!!

That's one thing I can cross off my list for this year. I am so happy but so incredibly sore. See, stupid me had a sore ankle from walking home last night. It was fine while I was on the treadmill and fine while I did my weights session afterwards but when I'd showered and was leavng the gym I could hardly walk. What's a shin splint? I think it could be that - the shin above my ankle is really painful and it hurts to bend my foot.

As I limping down Russell St to the tram, past the dodgy amusement places, I was stopped several times by young guys asking if I was right. Their concern warmed my heart until I thought about it. They weren't worried about my wellbeing but trying to sell me drugs! Now that's something that never happened to me before I lost weight. I could go to the dodgiest areas of Melbourne, I lived in Footscray for god sake, and never ever got offered drugs on the street. Oh weight loss, is there anything it can't do? It even helps you get a smack addiction.

You know what one of the biggest drawbacks of eating healthy is? When you have a big cookup to freeze for later, you don't have a ready supply of takeaway containers to use. I have about 3-4 that I've knicked off my housemates and they are all being used. I have a heap of chicken in the freezer that I want to make into something and I have to wait until I have some containers for it. Yeah, I could buy some but that costs money.

Finally, a couple of people asked for my chilli recipe but I rarely use recipes for anything - maybe the first time I cook something new but then I just improvise. So this is my basic method o' cooking:

Cook up some onion and brown some low fat mince (add some stock if you need liquid). Chuck in a tin of tomatoes, more stock, kidney beans and whatever vegies you have on hand and cook up for a while. Oh yeah, and chilli powder.

I like to serve it with sweet chili sauce and a dollop of plain yoghurt and heaps of coriander. I think I chucked a bit of cumin in with the chilli powder last night too.

And the other thing - I dunno if other people do this but whenever I cook anything with mince, I put in a heap of red lentils too - it has a similar texture to the mince and makes it more diet-friendly and cheaper. The first time I did this, Andrew went on about "not eating hippy shit" but he was so impressed that even he (and he is king o'meat) chucks in lentils now.

i do that too! i'm a tightarse! but it means more leftovers, more nutrition... and stinkier farts if you're not careful.

and go YOU with the 5k! that is hilarious about the drug dealers :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 am  

Maybe you need a rest day?? ie No exercise??? hmmmm as challenging as it sounds, it is do-able.

By Blogger Ang, at 4:50 am  

Yay for 5kms! That is a wonderful achievement!
Had to laugh at the drug dealers!

xx

By Blogger Nancy Bou, at 8:08 am  

Woohoo for running 5km!!! You just fabulous :o)

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:35 am  

I never use recipes either, even the first time i'm apt to change things! LOL. Yay for running 5 ks (envisage YAY in HUGE font!!). It is pretty funny about the drug dealers though. LMAO.
I had shin splints when I used to do high impact aerobics, very painful.
Hope it gets better soon, you probably need to rest up a bit.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 9:33 am  

Whooo Hooooo for running 5KM's. That is fantastic. Way to go Kathryn.

Wow the things weight loss can do for you these days LMAO :D

By Blogger Margaret, at 11:43 am  

Congrats on the 5k, next it will be 10!!! Take care of that ankle!

By Blogger Madamx81, at 11:49 am  

lol to the drug dealers...my bf has long hair and gets the typical freaks coming up to him...we even had the car cased in footscray once (fun)
oh, and if ur looking for containers to store food, i grabbed a set from k-mart, not anything fancy but only cost like 7 bucks....maybe worth having a look?

By Blogger laura, at 1:22 pm  

Well done for DOING IT ANYWAY and for running 5km. What an achievement! Is your shin/ankle better now?? I hope so! I always remind myself of the feeling AFTER a work out and it usually gets me moving too.

Thanks for reminding me to do a cook up for next week!

By Blogger Mary, at 6:12 pm  

5km - go you! You are going to whip my arse running this year...or should I say you running you me walking and jogging a bit.

Congrats :)

By Blogger Lucinda, at 9:07 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Buggered

The Biggest Loser

Time To Get Serious!

Migraine

A Kinda, Sorta Anniversary

Weigh In - 77.2

Life

Tired

Walk

Stuffed

archives