iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::1.10.05::

Bad Eating

I've not been eating the best lately and it really bugs me. It is one thing to eat well when you have control over your food, another to eat well when you don't.

Firstly, I went to see a band in the outer suburbs on Wednesday night and we had dinner at a place nearby. We went to a place with a wide range of food so I thought I'd find something reasonable. Except almost every single dish included a cream sauce. And since I don't eat mushrooms or seafood, that ruled out nearly everything else. In the end I got chicken kebabs with a lemon and herb marinate. But the salad that came with it was drenched in oil. I get so frustrated - do I have to spell out every single thing in my order? Why is that you always get the most unhealthy option unless you specify otherwise - that your dressing is on the side or that your food is grilled not fried or whatever? Of course I didn't have to eat the chips that came with it either.

Then yesterday, I forgot to take my fruit to work. For morning tea I went to the coffee shop and got a banana. Good choice. Then at lunch time I got some WW cereal bars since I have been craving carbo-snacks. Still good. Except for arvo tea, I decided to go to Hudson's and get a chai. Still not so bad. But at Hudsons they had biscotti on the counter. I got a packet, one pack = 2 serves, and I ate both serves. So, I was thinking, I'd make it up by having a light dinner and a big gym session. Except I got an email from a friend inviting me out for Japanese. And right, Japanese isn't so bad. I did a shortish but intense session at the gym and got to the resturaunt starving.

I had one gyoza and a miso to start. For mains, because I was so hungry, the waitress recommended a potato and beef hotpot (not sure how traditional that was). It was like a broth with potato and beef chunks floating in it. The beef was almost pure fat. The broth glistened with oil. Urrghh! But I ate it, well I ate around the fat on the beef. I hate meat fat, always have. Then I had black sesame icecream for dessert and ended up feeling over stuffed.

So that leads to today. I agreed to do a race/savenger hunt thing with some friends so I got up early and had a healthy breakfast (despite not being at all hungry after last night). The race started and ate the bag of free lollies we got in our show bag (and another one we got at a pit stop). Why did I do that? Why? I felt so sick afterwards.

After that, all i wanted was a salad roll but we couldn't get one. One of the pit stops was a Brumby's bakery so I got the closest thing - an apricot scroll (hey, it beat the sausage rolls and pies and shite).

Plus, the race was supposed to finish at 3.30 so I planned to go to a 4.30 Pump class. But we had to wait around for nearly 2 hours to get the results. I was so frustrated.

In fact, it has all been so frustrating. I've wanted to do the right thing but circumstances and my own poor efforts have thwarted me. The lesson to be learnt here is to be prepared. The other lesson is to be more assertive. I hate making a fuss when I eat out, but if I don't then I don't get what I want.

Actually there is another lesson to be learnt. See, these were things (well, except the band on Wednesday night that rocked ) that I didn't really want to do. Now I feel like most of my weekend has gone and all I've got done is one half arsed exercise session. No proper workout, no writing, no laundry. Nothing that I wanted to get done. And that makes me as frustrated as hell.


Postscript: I just added up my day's calories and I'm still under my daily allowance. If I do some exercise (maybe some weights at home) and have a big bowl of vegies for dinner then I should be fine. I just feel like I've been a jolly, great guts because I ate two packets of lollies. All that sugar is clogging up my veins and slugging me down.

You know how sometimes you feel like you have already blown your "diet" (or healthy eating lifestyle or whatever you want to call it) so you may as well go the whole hog (literally)? It's good to assess the damage. I was very tempted to just write it all off with some greasies from the takeaway for dinner, despite my bloated belly, but now I'm going to be very happy with my vegies.

And I've learnt - sugar = evil. If I want white, granually shite in future, I'll stick to cocaine. It's better for me.

you've done well considering the obstacles! i would have given up for sure...

and i'm just trying to imagine how weet-bix would taste with cocaine sprinkled on the top instead of sugar. haha

By Blogger Rah, at 2:51 pm  

hey rah, it's the breakfast of champions. or is that the breakfast of supermodels?

By Blogger Kathryn, at 3:06 pm  

Kate Moss in particular at the moment...
glad to hear u assessed the damage & found you were still under calories, its definitely a good way to do things rathewr than writing off the whole day (which for me turns into weeks)

By Blogger Kt, at 3:57 pm  

I was at my aunt's house the other day, so she could see the baby. She offered me a lunch meat sandwich. I almost just said, "sure!" because a) I was hungry and b) it's what she offered. Instead, I said, "hmmm, I *am* hungry, but do you have tuna?" She did, and I took it on a bed of lettuce, without the bread.

I never want to make a fuss, I sure don't want to draw attention to the fact that I need to have "special" food because I'm "on a diet" (people might get the impression that I'm FAT if I do that! can't have that!) and the truth is, it was a total nonissue. I know it's my aunt, but just that little bit gave me confidence to ask for what I want/need in any other circumstance too.

You're doing great. Sometimes, it's important to go ahead and let life get in the way of the diet!

By Blogger Mia Goddess, at 6:11 am  

Bwahaha..now that's the spirit, stick to cocaine ;-) Sounds like you need some serious *you* time to chill out. Try not to put so much pressure on yourself babe and just let things come around. I know I keep saying this to people but bad days never last long :-)

By Blogger Mary, at 3:00 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Weigh In Day

Gyms

Calories

Notes

Toddler Taming

A Big Fat History Of Me - Part 5

Gain!

Baby Needs Shoes

Step Ball Change

Spin

archives