iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::4.11.05::

Weigh in day

I wasn't really expecting a loss this week; not that I've binged or anything, just had a few nights out plus cup day. Yesterday I had my farewell lunch at work, but that wasn't too much damage - I got a steak sanga (with mash and salad instead of chips) - it was a huge steak so I cut off what I thought was around 100 grams and left the rest. Mash is an unknown quantity though when you don't make it yourself, but I love a mash I don't have to make myself.

Even though I didn't want to get my hopes up, I really wanted to break the 85.1 kilos - that would make it a 25 kilogram loss.

So, I got on the scales this morning and .... 84.9 kilos. Woohoo! I'm happy with that! I think I'll have to be careful next week but I'm so pleased at the moment.

***

I've been thinking, after my entry yesterday, how strange it is the way we are motivated by different things. A lot of people seem to need to make that financial commitment - either paying for Weight Watchers or a personal trainer or committing themselves in some other way. Me, I'm the opposite. Once I've made a commitment with cash, I feel like my responsibility has ended. I've paid for them to do their stuff. I guess the secret is self-knowledge - once you work out what motivates you, then you can work with that.

Although I'm not that sure 'motivation' is the right word. YP wrote a post recently with some interesting things to say about motivation and willpower, and I really think for me anyway, it isn't about motivation but about commitment. Way back when I started doing this, I made a commitment to myself to exercise six days a week and, except for illness and injury, I've kept that commitment. The exercise has changed but I do it at least six days a week even if I get home from work and I'm tired and I have a lot to do and I really don't feel like it. Not because I'm a saint or have super willpower, but because I've made that commitment. I know if I start skipping a day, then it's easy to make excuses to miss another day, then another. As much as I hate Nike with their sweatshops and dodgy practices, they do have one of the most powerful advertising slogans ever (I guess that happens when you spend more on your advertising budget than your entire workforce in SE Asia /end political rant) - Just do it.

Anyway, I'm off to celebrate my first day of unemployment with a run (well okay, a walk) along the creek then I'm taking my son the market for vegie shopping followed by lunch.

Well done on the loss! That's fantastic!

You're absolutely right - being motivated enough to exercise regularly is not as easy as it sounds. It is hard to get out there after a long day, or when you're just too tired. I always tell myself how much better I will feel once I've done it, that usually gets me off the couch or out of bed! Congratulations on sticking to your goal of 6 times a week!

Have a great weekend, see you Monday xo

By Blogger philippa_moore, at 11:25 am  

Sub 85kg - you champion!!

I agree completely on the idea of commitment. When I was 10yo I became a vegetarian and it has been the easiest decision of my life. I will simply never eat meat again. I knew that then and I know it now, 14 years later. I try to dredge up that conviction and apply it today; there are some behaviours that while they used to be acceptable, are not anymore - does that make sense?

By Blogger CaramelKitKat, at 11:46 am  

Congratulation on the loss. That is great. Well done on your exercise and have fun on your first unemployed day. I may be joining you soon :)

By Blogger Margaret, at 12:28 pm  

Well done on the loss. Enjoy your weekend

By Blogger Sue, at 12:45 pm  

Congratulations on getting below 85kgs! Wonderful feeling isn't it!

have a great weekend

xx

By Blogger Nancy Bou, at 2:17 pm  

Just do it! For sure it is too easy to start making excuses - you are very right. :) A

By Blogger Ang, at 4:20 pm  

woohoo for the 80 and a half girl.
it must feel great to have lost a massive 25kg, i have lost 13kg and feel so much better for myself so i think it myst feel wonderful
keep up the great work and have a great weekend
fiona

By Blogger Baby Bump Wanted, at 7:20 pm  

Congratulations, Kathryn. Your commitment to yourself is so much more valuable than willpower. I like what Beth says over at Act Boldly, "when I do good, I feel good."

Seems too simple, right? But it is what really "works."

By Blogger not specified, at 9:31 pm  

Congratulations on the loss! You are doing a great job!
Yay for your commitment to reaching your goal and have a lovely time deciding what to do next with your time. Have fun for a while!

By Blogger Suzy, at 10:46 pm  

Great news about the loss and you lived a bit this week as well! Yourae going so well with the exercise. BTW Merri Creek.. I spent my childhood playing at Merri Creek..in Fawkner, those were the carefree days. Have a great weekend and enjoy the fact that you do not have to go to work on MOnday.

By Blogger michelle, at 10:50 pm  

Congrats on the weigh in!

I started out with a 7 day a week goal, then it dropped to 6, now it seems to be between 5-7 depending on my mood. I should bump in back up to 6. I only have the one workout outfit, next time target has a sale, i'll go and buy more.

Swim plans have been changed (see update) - but I hope to go once before I go to Perth, for a change of scenery if anything else.

Have a great weekend

Lucinda

http://www.livejournal.com/users/hermitinthecity/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 pm  

Well done babe!! I agree with working out what works for you and then going with it. Everyone is motivated by different means for sure and I think this may have something to do with our own values, ethics etc too. I don't think any way is wrong or right, just different.

Commitment is certainly very important for me with this journey too. Some days I just don't want to do anything but then I hear Katey Weighty (and now Amelia too!!) telling me to DO IT ANYWAY :-)

I hope you are having a real nice weekend. Catch you soon.

By Blogger Mary, at 8:15 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Weight Watchers: Cult of Evil?

Melbourne Cup (o' Lard) Day and Challenges

I Want...

Some days...

Grrr!

Goals

Work

Check In

Chocolate and Light Bulbs

Love

archives