iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::1.11.05::

Melbourne Cup (o' Lard) Day and Challenges

I started the day with the best intentions, a 7 km walk along the Merri Creek. I've been wanting to walk from my place to the zoo which is 8 km just to prove to myself that I can walk 8 km. There is a sign near here that says the zoo is 4 km away so that's what I was going to do. The only trouble is that the sign is confusing - I thought the walk was along the Merri Creek trail but no, that goes nowhere near the zoo. When I worked that out, I had no idea how far I'd walked but judging by the dodgy maps along the trail, I'd say 7-7.5 km sounds about right. Arrghh.. by the time I got to the last km, the sun was out in full force and I'd left the shady banks of the creek. I was so happy to see my front door.

I'd been invited to a friend's place for drinks in the afternoon. Well, half way through lunch I got a message - they'd changed it to a lunch time BBQ instead. I looked at my avocado and vegemite toast and thought I could ditch the uneaten slice in the bin but it was really yummy avocado toast so I finished it, promising myself to have just one sausage at the BBQ. My net calories (food less exercise) for the day were in the negative so I had a bit of leeway to indulge.

Before lunch, we had bread and dips. Not your dodgy Chris's Hommus from the fridge at Coles style dip but scrumptious homemade dips - dhal and a walnut, dried tomato concoction (shudder to think of the fat in that). I had one of those skinless sausages in bread. Then I had to try a big, fat Cornish sausage (kind of like a Cornish pastie in sausage form).

At that point, I was full but not doing too bad. So we watched the race and I won the sweep and I had a couple of wine spritzers (aren't I doing well? I used to be a total cup day lush and would need a nap by the time the race started. Seriously, I'd never even heard of Makybe Diva before cos every year I'm napping).

Then we headed to the park and lazed on the grass, grazing on dips and breads and crackers and I think there was some cheese there somewhere and then apples soaked in Baileys (surprisingly good). I think I ate a lot but, after drinking a 1.25 litre bottle of Diet Coke plus at least twice that in water, I find it hard to judge.

At least I was the voice of reason when going out for dinner was mentioned! Eating dinner after that feast? Arrghh, no way! I thought about going for a swim but was worried I'd sink.

So I came home and worked out an estimate of calories. I'd thought sausages were about 1,000 calories each but they are way less! Still not something I want to eat every day but a very worthwhile treat.

Tomorrow's going to be a light day, that's for sure (don't you hate the term "light day", sounds like a tampon ad). With lots of exercise. But I don't think I did too much damage.

***

Just to finish, before I roll my bloated body into bed, I had a thought while walking this morning. I do a fair bit of walking but my walking is mostly random - I'll walk home from work or whatever and try to do it as fast as possible but you can't really time walking through the city - a run of luck, good or bad, with traffic lights can mean up to 15 minutes difference either way.

So I was thinking I want to give myself two different walking challenges - one is to walk the same route - I have a route in mind that is around 4 km - and challenge myself to walk it faster each time.

The second challenge is to do a longer walk and increase the distance each time.

I figure this gives me a lot of flexibility and variety and with daylight savings is something I can do every day.

Good idea to set yourself a walking challenge. I am sure the winter walking challenge really started me off on walking and now I love it. It is such a great all over exercise.

By Blogger Suzy, at 6:41 am  

I have to do a couple of walking challenges myself. When I was visiting Chicago and walking a lot, I realized how out of shape I am for outside walking (do almost all of it on a treadmill). So, starting this month, out the door I go for at least 3 sessions of 30-45 minutes each per week. It's a real battle to keep from slipping into an out-of-shape blob. :)

By Blogger not specified, at 8:26 am  

Sounds like a decent walk but walking in the sun is never fun. Cup day sounds like it was fun for you and well done on the food/alcohol front! It could have been much worse. Great to see you giving yourself some walking challenges too. I love walking!

PS. With buying exercise DVDs, I have to pay full price for them. It's a mental thing. If I copy them or buy them second hand, I just don't use them. Weird huh!? If I pay for them in full, I am forced to get my money's worth out of them. It's just my spastic way of making sure I exercise. Walking/cycling I have no trouble with.

By Blogger Mary, at 12:45 pm  

Great idea to time yourself walking the same track.
I wish we had cup day off! No fair! (although I had today off anyway!) .....

:o0

By Blogger Nancy Bou, at 3:11 pm  

Hope you've had a good day today - in spite of the searing heat! All I've wanted to do today is eat icecream, thank God there was none in the house!

Good on you for enjoying the Cup feast with your friends but not going overboard.

Hope you're somewhere cool!!

By Blogger philippa_moore, at 5:59 pm  

Isn't walking just fab! Go the walking challenge, make sure you record your results it will keep you on track for sure!

Personally I can't understand why its taken me this long to discover how fun it can be!

Keep up the good work!

By Blogger Ang, at 6:41 pm  

This is slightly off topic but you'll probably like my message anyway. You write a great blog!

I was just reading through some of your recent entries and it struck me: reading your blog is better than Weight Watchers meetings. Why? Because I can read the blogs every day and bump up my motivation. WW was only once per week, and I always found those weeks to be painfully long.

So thanks for letting us peek into your weight loss journey.

By Blogger Haloranch, at 6:43 am  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

I Want...

Some days...

Grrr!

Goals

Work

Check In

Chocolate and Light Bulbs

Love

3 Things That Have Been On My Mind Lately

I was thinking...

archives