iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::5.1.06::

Obstacles

I'm beginning to realise that one of my biggest diet problems is my son, Andrew. Not that he is a problem himself. The problem is the way I related to him. I use him to indulge my worst habits, all in the name of being a good mother.

For example, if we went to a coffee shop, things would be like:

Me: Don't those cakes and slices look good?
Andrew: Yeah
Me: Are you going to have one?
Andrew: If you're shouting...
Me: *sigh* I suppose I could get you some lemon slice.
Andrew: Mars bar slice.
Me: I think you'd prefer the lemon slice.
Andrew: No, I want the Mars bar slice. If you want the lemon slice, get it for yourself.
Me:I don't want any slice.

Me: That slice looks like good. I might have to try a little bite.

Andrew: Mum, you've eaten half of it.

It's bad for me. I have to either be willing to admit that I want a treat and work it into my day's food rather than thinking that I'll "just have a bite" or else not have it all. I have to quit thinking that I'm being a nice mother and getting Andrew something nice when really I'm doing it for me.

It's also bad for Andrew. I'm not discouraging him from eating rubbish, instead of being like one of those food pushers that annoy us so much. I'm perpetuating that whole "food is love" myth in his life. I'm teaching him that bad food is fun and healthy food isn't.

When I do these things, I'm not being a good mother, I'm being a bad mother. From now on, when I shout, I'll be shouting bags of plums and nectarines at the market; I'll be encouraging any kind of fresh vegetable I can get him to eat; I'll be sharing recipes for healthier food. In the long run, we'll both be better off for it.

I think it's great that you are now aware that you are teaching him that food=love. I wish my family would have realized that when I was young. To this day, if something positive happens, the first thing I think of is "Yea! Let's go out to eat!"

By Blogger Paige, at 9:22 am  

i do the same with my boyfriend....i forget about the health benefits for him (he eats way too much chocolate) i guess the beautiful thing about these blogs is not only r we encouraging ourselfs for a better lifestyle we r encouraging others....no we just gotta move it on to the ones we love...by the way thanks for the narnia warning, when i see it hopefully i wont be too dissapointed....ps, maccas is just evil! keep up the good work

By Blogger laura, at 10:02 am  

Yep, I do it too, why is that? It's annoying for us and whoever we're coercing into eating!!
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 10:37 am  

slice is good though!!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 pm  

I know a mum who refuses to sell her kids school's fundraiser choccies. She takes them back, has a go at them, and then offers a donation instead. Quite funny.

By Blogger Cinders, at 2:19 pm  

do'nt be so hard on yourself, you're doing what so many mothers do and it doesn't make you a bad mother at all. I do the same thing but with my fiance, i'll ring him and say "feel like fish and chips" and he's say, "yeah!!!" and if he'd said no, i would go home and eat healthy. But i ask him knowing that he'll say yes. it's terrible the things we do for love and food ;)

By Blogger Madamx81, at 4:02 pm  

OMG I DO THIS - but in a different way. I don't even trick myself into thinking just a bite.

Me: Mum want a hot donut
Mum: Oh yeah
Me: Great 1 bag of 6 hot donuts please

OR

Me: Mum want a Hot Donut
Mum: Nope
Me: Nah me either yuck, fattening!

ha ha ha so sad!
(BTW donuts come in bags of 6 and up no less in my world)

By Blogger Jadey, at 5:35 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

More Stuff

Stuff

Love

Today

Changes

Shocks and Rewards

Happy New Year!

2006 Life Makeover

Happy New Years!

OMG!

archives