iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::23.2.06::

Synchronicity

It's weird how life works sometimes. After posting last night, I received an email from an old friend, an invitation to his 40th birthday. Well more like a pre-invitation since the party is in June and there are no details yet.

This whole thing is weird in so many ways. We used to be best friends. Were for 15 years or more but haven't spoken for the past 5 years or so. I guess there is a long version and a short one to this story and I'll try to stick to the short one at the moment. Our friendship just sort of faded out - no big fights, no words said, nothing. It just ended. Bad feelings on both sides but nothing said. Instead we hurt each other and did stupid things instead of talking about the issues. There is a lot of water under that bridge. For me, fighting is always better. At least things get out in the open and you deal with them.

At the same time, we were both changing the people we are. Changing in different ways.

Sometimes I miss him. Of course. You can't be friends with someone for that long and not miss them. Other times, I get this intense burst of fury out of nowhere. I want to hunt him down and punch him. Mostly I'm angry because when he changed, he took my friend away - the friend that he used to be.

So anyway, this party is going to be a situation where I'll be around people I haven't seen for many years. People who knew me as a different person. I feel like I've been at least 2 or 3 different people since then.

It's not just a case of them having known me when I was fat (although my sister reminded me that I had to go just to show them) but back then I was, we all were big into club, into partying hard. I got out of that whole scene. It was fun for a while but I was over it all. I just stopped wanting to be that person.

One of the real eye openers from all this is that it's made me see that the weight loss isn't the first or only transformation in my life. I've "reinvented myself", as they say in the celebrity mags, several times over. I've left behind the things that don't work for me and found the things that do. I can do this.

How boring it would be if we were the same 'me' all our lives. Although I believe our essential personality never changes, we are different people at different stages. Our true friends not only accept that - they enjoy it.

By Blogger Sue, at 9:28 am  

I agree with Sue 100% - I think we are different people depending on where we are in our lives and what is happening around us.
I have been finding that there are a lot of people who treat me differently now that I have lost my weight - and that is OK - they need to deal with their issues, I am happy where I am.
I hope that you are able to work out things out so that you can have your friend back - maybe over the past 5 years you have both changed in ways that are now appealing to each other.
I say go to the party and show them what a fantastic job you have done with your weight loss - be proud of who you are now and let them deal with any issues that might come up.
Have a great weekend and a great Melbourne bloggers meet !!!!!
Me

By Blogger Me, at 12:41 pm  

You'll be fine, wear something gorgeous and knock all their socks off!!
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 1:43 pm  

I had never really thought about the different 'me' a person can be, but it is so true, it all depends on the situation, and circumstances. Imagion how great the reveal of the new you will be!!

By Blogger Ang, at 3:32 pm  

You CAN do it. You WILL do it.

I have changed many times over and I am extremely glad my family, my friends and esp my husband have changed right along side of me. I think it was called growing up..

By Blogger Margaret, at 8:02 pm  

People who re-invent themselves are those that live life! Imagine being the same person, doing the same thing, wearing the same clothes *urgh*, boring. You are a truly remarkable woman.

By Blogger Mary, at 9:56 am  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

I Need Sleep

I Love Lychees

Running

The Girl with the Most Cake...

What the hell am I doing?

Mornings Suck

Weigh In - 76.5 kgs

Rest

Even More Buggered

Buggered

archives