iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::28.3.06::

Plans

I realised today that I don't really have any kind of plan in my weight loss at the moment. Over the past year I've had weight loss goals and been calorie goals and exercise goals. Now I have nothing, I'm just floating around and going through the motions.

At the beginning of the year, I wanted to be able to run 5ks. Once I did that, I kind of slackened off on the running. I've been working up to the Run for the Kids, going to training sessions and running at the gym but I've found myself more likely to take a walk break later rather than pushing myself harder.

I've actually been pooing myself thinking about the R4tK later, then today I realised I only need to do 6 kmh to finish in 2 hours. I can walk faster than that. And, I figure if I take over 2 hours, I'll be running on pure nicotine withdrawal (must find out if you get disqualified for scabbing smokes from bystanders... just joking... kinda).

But anyway once that is over, I'm going to work on building up my running. Over the weekend, Simon and I discussed running a marathon as a (very) long term goal - not this year but one day. So that is something to prepare for. I want to run faster and longer. There is a 4 week running programming in this month's Women's Health and Fitness magazine so I am going to try that out.

It isn't just the running, but all my exercise has been haphazard. I used to write up my weekly schedule on the fridge and it took almost a natural disaster for me to deviate from it. Then, with my weirdarsed work routine earlier this year, I just fit in what I could. If I had time, I'd do some weights. If a class was on when I got to the gym, I'd join in. That is going to change.

I want a definite weight program with clear goals. When I get into a regular pay cycle, I think I'll book some more personal training sessions and get a program done with clear cut results. I want to keep pushing myself instead of doing a few weights here and there.

I also want to fit in some classes. I've found spin classes are great after a running day. It sounds stupid but if I am all achy from running, the spin class really helps me feel better. Simon told me this actually makes sense - his dad has run for years and swears by a bike ride after a big run. Something to do with lactic acid and other technical stuff.

The other thing I want to do is fit in some pilates/yoga classes. These have always been my bottom priority. Sometimes I'll do a body balance class if I get there. It's a hard thing for me because 1. I'm so graceless that I feel like a heffalump esp amongst the young, Asian girls in the class 2. I like to see instant results and instant improvements and 3. I like to sweat. Still I think I need the toning benefits of these classes. I did a pilates reformer class a while back and loved it but you have to book in for them so I've not bothered.

Foodwise, I've not been tracking or counting calories or even making that much of an effort for a while. Then, over the past few weeks, with everything that's been on I've just not even worried. I think I've got into a maintenance mindset which is going to rapidly turning into gains on the scales (I'm heading for a gain this week). I want to reach my 70 kg goal and, even then, I'm not sure if that's the weight I want to be. My new, just decided goal, is to get to 70 kgs by the end of May.

That's a lot of plans and goals but I can do it. I just need to get organised. Then victory will be mine.

Great post, you've just reminded me that I need to re-set some goals too. I've been maintaining for yonks and its time to "extractus digitus"! LOL.
Hope you're having a great week.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 5:36 am  

I totally hear what you're saying about goal setting. I just decided to break up my weight loss into mini-goals to keep myself sane!

By Blogger Marathon Someday, at 10:33 am  

Kathryn, hope you can come and meet up with all the Ausrunners after the R4K.

Would love to say hi.

And victory will definitely be yours once you reach goal!!

By Blogger Jaykay, at 12:07 pm  

I am also terrified about the run and I know I cannot run very much. But it is better to have a challenge isn't it? I am sure if you focus you can reach that 70kg mark by May.

By Blogger michelle, at 12:18 pm  

I was going to tell you not to be too hard on yourself. Then I stopped and thought for a moment. And I realised that this was not the right comment. Because I was thinking of myself, not you! I am doing the same, though not with such consistency as you do, and I am 19 kilos away from goal, not 4!
Thank you for making me realise this again.
We all DO need goals and plans!
Now, where are mine???

By Blogger Argy, at 4:04 pm  

i think you have re set some good goals there :) reaching the 70kg mark will be very exciting & definitely doable by may

By Blogger Kt, at 6:59 pm  

I have to admit to some kind of reverse snobbery about Pilates - it's just so trendy, I can't bear to try it! I know that's silly...

By Blogger Sue, at 3:35 pm  

As you get closer to your weight goal and having achieved so many personal fitness goals, it can definitely seem like your floating. Things are easier and you can take a day off here and there but I understand wanting to get back some of that routine. I am waiting to get my finances in line too with a new job so I'm floating myself. You've come a long way girl so victory is already yours and there's more to be had!

By Blogger Mary, at 7:48 pm  

You have a way of inspiring me every time I need it darling. Thank you mate.

By Blogger Jules, at 9:26 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

The Good

Blair Witch Wedding

Weigh In - 74 kgs

Stuff

Handy Hint...

Sniffles

Sniffles

Drinking

Rollercoaster of Lard - Weigh in 74 kgs

Tired

archives