iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::7.1.06::

Running

As I mentioned below, I want to do the 14.7 km course in the Run For Kids in April. On their site, they say you have to be able to run 10 km in under 2 hours (I think because they are closing the Domain tunnel and want you out of there so they can reopen it to traffic). Now I was pretty sure I could do that. After all, I can do 5 km in 40 minutes. But I thought I should test it out.

Tonight I went over to Albert Park lake to check my times. I wasn't even sure if I could make 2 laps of the lake but was determined to try. The first time around I did some running and some walking. They have markers every 500 metres and I thought to myself, I'd really love to be able to run the whole 500 metres without stopping. When I got to the 2.5 km point, I thought bugger it, I'll give it a go. So I started running and running and thought the next marker would never come. Then I say it and I was like - woohoo! I did it. Then I was like - shit, I'm going to die. So I walked some more and ran some more.

Second lap around, I thought well I ran 500 metres last time, I'll try it again. I ran the 500 metres and when I got to the marker I thought I'd just keep going for a little bit. Then a little bit more. My legs were so heavy and I was going at the slowest jogging speed ever but I told myself to just keep going. And, woohoo! I ran a whole kilometres without stopping. I did it.

I think out of the 10 km, I ran about a quarter of it. I'm going to be so sore tomorrow. I did it in just under 80 minutes too but I'm not sure if it was a full 10 km because it was a bit confusing around the start/end markers. Still I'm more than happy.

Afterwards I sat on the grass under a tree and did my stretches then just relaxed and watched everyone around the lake and sun setting and felt the most amazing peace. Or was that exhaustion?

Before I left, I said to the lake - "I'll be back and one day I'll run you without stopping." The lake was just like - "whatever". But that day is coming.

Queen of the Lake fun run is around August I think - you can run the 10 then.

And what is it with all the non hardcore fun run people out there ... doing the 4.5km walk! If I can have a go, then most of us should be able to - as 99% of you are fitter than me.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now....I'll just need more company when I start frothing at the mouth while I go over the Bolte Bridge.

Good Night, and Good Luck! ;)

By Blogger Lucinda, at 10:46 pm  

excelent, u have such strive...i really admire that....80mins!, bet that hurt a heap...but u did it...hats just so cool!

By Blogger laura, at 2:18 am  

This is an excellent goal, and achievable. You've got me thinking about how I can challange myself more.

By Blogger theaddict, at 8:26 am  

Well done, like I keep saying - you are a machine. You'll be kicking that lake's butt in no time the way you're going.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 8:34 am  

WOW!! What more can I say. That is one AWESOME effort!!

By Blogger Ang, at 8:48 am  

You are such an inspiration Kathryn! Seriously, well done on pushing yourself to see what you can do. I need to do more of that.

By Blogger Mary, at 9:19 am  

Wow...what a way to push yourself!! That is really inspirational! :)

By Blogger Angie, at 10:42 am  

WOW that's amazing, 10k in 80mins dang, lol I like how you talk to the lake (I often talk to the treaders like that).

You really are an exercise machine! (and I think you'll be up for that 14.7km in no time)

By Blogger Dee, at 11:10 am  

p.s. I haven't watched the buffy set (seen it tho lol) but I would watch it religiously when it was on TV, I watched it all the way til it ended. I was so heart broken ;( I hate shows ending, I did the same with Sex n The City (have that box set)

When you get it, I'm totally visiting for a Buffy marathon.

By Blogger Dee, at 11:13 am  

That is fantastic. We go to AP every sunday morning if you ever want to join us. A 'normal' walk is about 45 mins for us but sometimes we walk/run which is about 36-38 minutes. Last year I did the 'Run to the G' in about 1hr 45 but I wasn't feeling well and that was 10kms but I'm much fitter this year so I think I'll put myself down for the 14kms. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

By Blogger Cinders, at 12:16 pm  

hey, ive just been reading all your posts for the last week or so. you made it to the 70's woohoo, hopefully i wont be too far behind ya. well done on running 1km and doing 80mins worth of walking/running, bet ya sore now
have a good one
fiona

By Blogger Baby Bump Wanted, at 2:19 pm  

woohooooo a whole km!!! that's kill me for sure....

if you keep that up you'll be running the whole 10 in under 1 hr!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 pm  

Well done on the running achievement - it is such a great feeling to do something you never thought you could. You will be running that lake circuit all the way round in no time.lb

By Blogger Learning Leaders, at 7:48 pm  

You will be back and you will kick that lake's blue behind! You rock!

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:12 pm  

Maybe try the couch to 5km hun!! I am starting that this week! That's 1 lap of AP down once you complete that program. I am extremely impressed though - my best has been a 60 second burst of jogging so far nothing like 500m or 1km. But I will one day!

By Blogger Jadey, at 3:01 pm  

Go Kathryn!!

I so wish I lived closer to you as I'd so love to come and encourage you and run with you.

I'm also doing the Run for the Kids, so I'd love to meet up with you before and after to see how you go.

All I can say is just keep going, it really does get easier!

By Blogger Jaykay, at 9:41 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

pssst...

Gots It, Needs It

Single Figures

Stuffed

Obstacles

More Stuff

Stuff

Love

Today

Changes

archives