iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::25.2.06::

19 Years

Can you remember what you were doing 19 years ago? I can. I was in the labour ward of the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Hobart. Today my baby is 19 years old. Still a baby though.

I thought it was bad enough when he turned 18 but now I'm freaking - he's only a teenager for one more year. I'm far too young to have an adult son. Although I guess he is an adult - he's been living out of home for nearly year and more than capable of looking after himself.

We went for our weekly outing to the market this morning then off to Northland to get his present. He wanted an Adelaide Crows footy jumper. Yeah, embarassing I know. They didn't have one that fitted so he's going to get one in the city. But I did get him a birthday treat. I took him to KFC for lunch. I used to love the Mashies they have at KFC and, ever since they bought them back, I've wanted some. They aren't nearly as good as I remember. I was tempted to stick a candle in one though and sing happy birthday but I didn't.

Oh, I got a kind of compliment from my son today and, if you knew him, you'd realise how rare that is. We are talking about a boy who didn't notice I lost 30 kgs. He told me that his friends think I'm the coolest mother ever. I say "kinda compliment" because when I was a teenager people said that about my mum and I hated it. I think the difference is that I go out and be cool with my own friends while my mum used to try to hang around my friends being cool. Grrr!

I was going to go for a run this morning but I've hurt my leg. I think something's gone funny in my hip. I don't think I did it running but doing squats at the gym yesterday. My PT wanted me to use the Smith's machine (I think that's what it's called) but it feels weird and awkward to me and I'm not sure if my form is right. I think from now on I'll just just a barbell instead.

I don't really like the program my PT worked out for me anyway so I made up my own with a bit of help from various web sites. Doing different body parts on different days bugs me. I'd rather have a program that I can do several times a week.

This is what I'm doing:
  • Squats
  • Lunges
  • Lat Pulldown
  • Dumbell Row
  • Pushups
  • Crunches - or those awful ones with your legs in the air that work the lower abs too.
I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. If you think I'm leaving out a major muscle group, let me know.

I think I'll have a lazy afternoon. I've just finished stewing up a big bag of plums and nectarines I got at the market and I've been listening to my new Beth Orton CD. There is a huge storm here and it sounds like the thunder is directly overhead. I love storms. When I was little, my mum didn't want us to be scared of storms so she'd gather my sister and I around the window or on the verandah and point out everything that was beautiful about them.

Happy bday to your son.

Good idea, have a rest up and hopefully the leg will be better soon!

:)

By Blogger Ang, at 5:06 pm  

LOL I can relate to not thinking you are old enough to have a son that age. When I tell people my oldest is 20 this year I am always disappointed if they don't express amazement that I could have a son that age. Problem is no one ever does!!!
Happy Birthday to him - I think it's great that he does the market trip with you - sounds like he thinks you are pretty cool too!

By Blogger Lesley, at 6:29 pm  

Love the storm story - I suspect your Mum really was cool - apart from the hanging out with your friends bit!
My boy has just started his last year at school and I have to keep reminding myself to enjoy him as he is now, instead of freaking out about how fast his childhod has gone.

By Blogger Sue, at 5:51 am  

What a great memory of your mum and storms. Wow, that's so powerful. I am going to make an effort to do that with my son, thank you for sharing that with us!
Hope your leg feels better soon, and I hope you're having a great weekend.
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 9:29 am  

whoa- for some reason i thought you had a primary school age child! happy bday to the son :)

By Blogger Kt, at 2:10 pm  

My daughter is 4 this year and i am hating it as she starts school in a year :( they grow up soooo fast!!!!
Sounds like you had a great day with your son:) and hey anything nice a teenager say's has to be written down for futur referrence lol and i'm still like that now with my hubby lol
Em:)

By Blogger Em, at 7:12 pm  

Happy Birthday to you son! Mmm KFC, don't tempt me. Love the compliment from your son, that's cool and how about your own mum and those storms!? What beautiful way to appreciate nature. My mum would shut all the door, windows, blinds and make us sit in a dark room until the storm passed. Weirdo.

By Blogger Mary, at 4:19 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

WTF...

Weigh In - 77 kgs

Melbourne Bloggers Meetup

Synchronicity

I Need Sleep

I Love Lychees

Running

The Girl with the Most Cake...

What the hell am I doing?

Mornings Suck

archives