iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::30.1.06::

Big Day Out

I meant to sleep in yesterday so I was nicely rested but it wasn't to be - I got woken by an almighty crash, like someone was kicking in my bedroom window. Among the screaming and cussing (by me) I realised that my wooden venitian blinds had fallen down. Seems the stupid owners didn't put the brackets up properly!

After my shower, I went to the supermarket and got some supplies (including drawing pins so I could pin a sheet up at the window cos no way am I touching those blinds myself - the owners can deal with all that). I was going to get a couple of protein bars but remembered the last time I had one it was disgusting so I thought maybe museli bars would be good but I don't really like them either so I got some LCMs - not so healthy but damn yum. I also got a couple of huge lasagnes reduced to $1.99 each. That's damn good. Since the use by date is today, I'm going to cut it up into calorie-friendly portions and freeze them individually and give the rest to Andy. I mean, who can turn up $1.99 lasagne?

Got back home and got ready - I got the cutest t-shirt from a shop in the city called Route 66 that has like 50's rockabilly clothes. Will definitely be checking them out again because they had the loveliest angora cardigans. And some great dresses. And cute skirts...

Anyway, my friend Sugar Lips turned up and off we went. I got before photos so I hope they come out okay. We had decided to drive because the thought of public transport was too much to deal with, but wasn't sure what the parking would be like. Ended up we found an all day park as easy as easy, but it wasn't as close to the grounds as we thought so we had to walk and walk and then walk almost all the way around the outside of the grounds to find the entrance. At least I got my exercise for the day.

We could hear some godawful band playing as waited to get in. I was like, must find out who this band is so I never see them again. It ended up being Magic Dirt. I kinda like Magic Dirt - I've seen them do live performance that have been as good as any band I've seen but I've also seen them do some shockers.

The first band on our must see list was Sleater Kinney. I didn't know much about them but have heard good things about them. They were great - very cool rock chicks. I think I will have to educate myself more. They were playing in the RRR tent which was nicely shaded and breezy - far better than the hot outside.

When they finished, we didn't have anyone we wanted to see for a while so we walked around snarling at the kiddies. Damn kiddies - the big fashion of the day was t-shirts of bands that broke up before you were born - the Ramones being faves. Cowboy hats were big too. I'd been going to wear mine but it has been in the back of my car for months and got squished to death. I'm glad I didn't wear it after seeing every other person there in one.

We got food - I couldn't resist the junk food vans! I had a yummo kranksy with onions and cheese. Damn fine it was too. I also got an icecream. I think that is pretty good going compared to what I could have had. Well I guess you can't eat too much at those prices.

Next up was Henry Rollins. We listened to some generic rock band while we waited. I'm sure that stuff sounds okay if you are 16 years old and don't realise that a million bands have already done the same thing...

Rollins was fantastic - he's a great storyteller. We were in the second row so I got a couple of photos. One or two because ... I need to have a bit of a rant here... what is with people taking photos? Not just at the BDO, but a few times when I've seen bands lately, half the crowd stands there taking photos on their cameras or their digital phones. Sure it's nice to have a pic or two, but these people spend the whole set taking photos. It reminds me of last time I went overseas - people seem to spend more time recording things than actually experiencing them. Enough with the photos.

We stuck around for the Beasts of Bourbon who bought out all the old farts in the crowd. Damn they rock. I've never seen them play live before and I was very impressed. They started the set with Chase the Dragon then, about two songs in, some dude near us started yelling for Chase the Dragon - I think he won Tool o' the Day!

After a quick toilet and water bottle refill break, we headed to the main stage for The Stooges. The line to get into the D barrier wasn't so long, so we thought we'd chance it. Except the line didn't move and people kept pushing in... when we got there, the line was 2-3 people wide. It ended up being about 20 people wide. I really thought there was going to be a punch up but I restrained myself. I hate damn people who push in and thought it sucked that the place was crawling with security everywhere else but there. Adding to the pain, we had to listen to Franz Ferdinand - my god they were awful.

The Stooges started so we gave the line a miss and joined the general crowd. Damn they were good. Beyond words. Enough to make you forget your aching feet and tired limbs. For the first half of the show, we had this insane girl behind us - squealing and dancing around like something possessed. I've been around some annoying people at festivals in my time but she far out did any of them. I kept moving to get away from her but she seemed to move with me. Arrghh! Eventually she pushed up to the front, thank goodness.

Last was The White Stripes. Now I've loved the Stripes for many years but seriously, having them on after the Stooges was bad idea. And they were crap. I was really umimpressed with them. To make it worse, Sugar Lips isn't a fan so I felt like I had to justify wanting to sit around to see them and was having trouble finding a reason.

So that was my day. I think I survived okay - well it was the first time I've got home from a BDO without feeling absolutely shattered which is a good sign. The feet and legs are a bit sore (but then the legs were sore before I started, after my gym workout on Saturday).

YES! I totally agree re the cameras. Put them DOWN people.

And glad to hear Henry was good. I just bought tickets to see him in April here in Edinburgh and I trust your opinion more than Mr/s Anonymous ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 am  

Hey, I like Franz Ferdinand!

Anyway, glad to hear the Stooges rocked out. A couple of friends of mine went to the Sydney BDO and said they were the highlight of the day.

I know what you mean about the White Stripes. Love their records but live shows ain't their thing. We saw them a couple of years ago and they were dull and crap.

I heard Rollins was good but was also extra preachy. I dunno, that kind of stuff turns me off. I do agree with his rants but I just get tired of being ranted at. Much prefer Jello Biafra as a spoken word artist, i have to say.

Glad to hear you had a good day!

By Blogger Sarah, at 9:11 am  

Please please please post some photos!

:o)

By Blogger Nancy Bou, at 9:32 am  

Glad to hear you had a good time. I don't mind Franz Ferdinand (or Ferdipants as they call them on JJJ). Pity about the White Stripes, although there is only two of them and don't they play all their instruments themselves so it would be tough doing it live.
Have a great week
Bri

By Blogger Briony, at 10:46 am  

Dear Anon,

It's Henry Rollins what do you expect? I was actually expecting it to be MORE political... he spent most of the time telling stories of Johnny Ramone and Iggy Pop.

Btw, no need to be anonymous. I really don't mind if you have an opinion that differs to mine :)

By Blogger Kathryn, at 10:51 am  

Sounds like a great day was had - so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself (most of the time anyway !!)
Have a great week - Me

By Blogger Me, at 12:10 pm  

glad u had a good time....i was at woek :(

By Blogger laura, at 1:22 pm  

Hi Kathryn - I am glad you had a great BDO as you have been looking forward to it for sooooo long. What's next??? Well done on your attitude to life long weight loss - I need to get back there at the moment but I am inspired by your success and motivating blogs. Have a fantastic week and good luck with the blinds 8-)

By Blogger Learning Leaders, at 2:38 pm  

Sounds like you had a pretty darn cool day!!
Its amazing how much difference lossing weight can make! The body copes much better with less weight to carry round.

By Blogger Ang, at 3:18 pm  

You've got my kind of taste in music and clothes! I buy a lot of my gear from Route 66 (Surry Hills, NSW). Great to hear about Sleater Kinney too. I've heard a lot about them but not the music yet but I should do something about that. So you saw Henry, Tex and Iggy...what a great day!!

By Blogger Mary, at 3:58 pm  

The camera thing shits me no end - plus I am very paranoid about mine getting stolen.

In light of this...where are the photos??

By Blogger Lucinda, at 4:02 pm  

Sounds like a great day Kath! Can't wait to see your shots of the day - but you're right, it's the experience, and your eloquent way of putting it into words, that really matters!

By Blogger philippa_moore, at 4:50 pm  

my 1st and only BDO was in 2000. crammed in killing heidi, blink 182, magic dirt, chilli peppers, grinspoon, groove terminator, the foos, atari teenage riot, NIN, shihad,spiderbait, jebediah.. my faves where gerling and NIN..(well u might have been there, silly me!) blink was alright apart from a guy throwing up on me (well behind me got my legs and shoes) and the toilet lines and paying $4 for a 600ml of coke.. did the trains from newcastle (3hrs) left at like 5-6am got home next day at 2am. Good to hear u enjoyed it all and didnt get thrown up on!

By Blogger Tiffany, at 8:25 pm  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Sunday

Gym Adventures

Weigh In.... and Men!

A message for Briony....

Oh and one other thing...

Exhausted

Changes

Just to clarify...

Embarassment

Questions

archives