iDiet

[a weight loss story]

*kathrynoh at nemesis dot com dot au*

::25.1.06::

Changes

I think I need to make some changes to my workout routine. At the moment, I'm doing 6-7 pretty full on cardio workouts a week and it's getting too much. Last night I missed my Spin class - I used to love doing Spin and now I just can't think of anything worse - and I'm tired all the time. Sometimes I can't get through the day without a nap.

So the new plan is to do 3 cardio workouts at the gym a week - at the moment I want to stick to my walk/run intervals because that's what I am really enjoying, and then on the other 2 week days doing some light exercise - walking or swimming plus using those days to do my lower body weight sessions (I figure I'll be able to do this much better without having exhausted my legs with cardio first).

On the weekends, I definitely want to do a longer walk/run outside if the weather is good.

Other than that, I want to add in a pilates or body balance class.

It worries me that I'm cutting back the exercise but I really think I can't sustain the level I'm doing at the moment.

One of my motivations has been that I have the time to do a lot of gym work now but I have no idea what things will be like in the future - once I start working again plus possible start studying. Making the most of my time has really been what's pushing me.

Another worry is just having no routine - not knowing what I'll be doing as far as work goes. I'm sure something will come up soon but I just don't know what or when.

But there is no point in exhausting myself. I can't work any harder so maybe I should just work smarter. I think I need to go to the doctor and see if there is anything medical that is causing the tiredness too. Maybe I'm lacking in something. I am also thinking of seeing a dietican too - there is a local diabetes clinic that has all that thing (note to self: wasn't diabetes check ups part of new years resolutions). I am worried that I don't eat enough protein - I should be eating about 100 grams a day but even with huge efforts I only seem to get to about 60 grams.

***

Yesterday I did a stupid thing - I had some rice paper rolls for lunch but was still hungry so later in the afternoon I went down to a local cafe and got some scrambled eggs. I forget that other people actually butter bread - I haven't done that for so long - and they came out with two huge slices of toast lathered with butter. What could I do? I was starving and, since I hadn't asked for unbuttered toast, felt like I couldn't send it back. I did think of just eating one slice but it was so good - fluffy clouds of white bread with creamy butter.

Anyway, afterward I was so full. Like stuffed. I couldn't think about food for the rest of the day.

What do you do - on the one hand dieting wisdom says to never skip a meal and on the other to never eat when you aren't hungry? I guess not stuffing yourself in the first place could work but I enjoyed it so much, it was worth it.

***

I've been thinking a lot about body image and my feelings toward myself lately. One of my worst habits is looking in the mirror and zeroing in on my worst bits - my flabby belly mostly. I end up just seeing myself as belly rather than the whole me.

It's weird the way we get pissed off when guys objectify women - talking about them as just a pair of boobs or a great arse - yet we do that to ourselves in a different way, only seeing our own (and other women's) bad bits. At least the guys focus on the assets!

So I'm trying to see the whole me - the good and bad - when I look at myself. You know, I have great legs. And my waist is getting smaller. And now that it's merging from the double chins, my real chin is rather pointy. And even the flabby belly is getting smaller.

Kathryn - dont beat yourself up about 2 slices of buttered bread. Look at how hard u work, I'm sure they went unnoticed to your body. I've been told you're best off with maybe fruit/yoghurt for dinner if you've overstuffed during the day and not really hungry. I think your 3 cardio workouts a week sound great and more than enough with all the other fantastic stuff that you're doing and what a great idea looking at the 'whole' you instead of focusing on the bad bits is.

By Blogger Cinders, at 10:58 am  

I think you're 6 to 7 session is amazing but i can understand why you can't sustain it. I went to a fitness meeting once and the guy said that 3 to 4 cardio sessions of 45mins per week will keep you fit, so that's probably a good aim for you to have. If you do 4 of your cadio sessions and then balance/swim/walk, you'll still be doing amazing things for your body.

Body image is such a hard thing. Sometimes when i'm home alone and staring in the mirror i think that i'm pretty and have a lot to offer. Then i step outside into the real world and all that prettyness just disapears and i'm ugly and fat again. I don't know why this happens or why i do it, but it's just the way i am.

Good luck with your new gym routine :)

By Blogger Madamx81, at 12:04 pm  

Having a workout you can sustain without feeling like a zombie may be the shot in the arm you need. it will also leave room for tweaking your routine and upping the intensity for those 4 or so workouts a week.

Body image is a tricky thing, I feel like Hayley on this, it's generally okay when I am at home, but once I'm out and about it takes a bit of a dive.

By Blogger Lucinda, at 5:36 pm  

i was thinking that maybe you should just pay for one personal training session to make sure that you are doing the right combination of exercise? But, what u r doing sounds good to me.

Looking in the mirror is one of the hardest things I do i think and I have just moved into a place with full mirrored walls in the bedroom - not good for the sex drive I'm telling ya!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 pm  

This week I've started getting really tired after my workouts too. I think I'm probably not eating enough. The car can't run without gas, right? Well, unless it's a hybrid, but that doesn't fit my analogy, so let's ignore that, shall we? :)

By Blogger Jennette Fulda, at 6:41 am  

I think it's such a good idea to re-assess your workout routine and especially if you are doing so much. You don't want to burn out. Alternating works really well!

I hear you about the work thing, that's why I found a part time job but they've stuffed me around big time. Freelancing and contract work can be a real challenge but I think ultimately more rewarding in the end....after the hard yards.

I am worried about not getting enough protein too, especially after cutting out meat. Let us know how you go with the doctor/dietitian.

LOL yep, *other* people butter bread and have you noticed how much they lather it!! If I have forgotton to say "no butter", I would eat it and hopefully remember for next time. I think it's okay once in a while so don't worry about it.

We can be our own worst critics too. We notice things that most people wouldn't. I have scarred myself in ways that is socially unacceptable and quite visibly disgusting but I just try to hold myself well and dress well so it's not the focus. If it is, that person judging can pretty much just fuck off then. We have to learn to accept ourselves. It is hard when we are large but I think getting within the Healthy Weight Range helps big time. I am definitely more confident and I may not be perfect but I do look after myself now and no one can say otherwise.

You do have great legs, your waist is getting smaller, your facial structure is really showing now and god damn, you're a great gal all round! Keep up the great work!

By Blogger Mary, at 8:51 am  

 

stats:

current weight:
76.6 kg

start weight:
110.1 kg

total loss:
33.5 kg

goal weight:
70 kgs

 

measurements:

boobs: 100 cm

waist: 81 cm

hips: 109 cm

thighs: 50 cm

 

Weekly Goal Lifestyle Changing Challenge-A-Rama

Week 1 - Drink more water

Week 2 - Cut out sugary treats

*

my writing blog

previous:

Just to clarify...

Embarassment

Questions

Dissing on the Date...

More updates...

Updates

Shopping...

Tagged By Dee

Happier

Once Upon A Time...

archives